Bow camo

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Joel Spring

Re: Bow camo

Postby Joel Spring » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 am

I don't know about that.....Seems like it makes a bigger (looking) object to draw attention when you go to take it off the bow hanger, or move it around to draw. I always think that a deer's eyesight is more concerned with and tuned into movement than visibility. To me, that arrangement makes something bigger to catch their eye.

But if it works for you....go for it!

(I always thought a taxidermy squirrel would be the perfect bow camo....if a deer sees you draw, he looks up and sees a squirrel....maybe a battery-powered twitching tail......)

Good luck hunting.

Joel
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:28 pm

I've always found that if you move slow and deliberate with your bow, you can get away with it. Of course, if the deer is looking directly at and focused on you, you don't move, just wait it out.
I have used this leafy camo for more than 20 yrs and taken many nice bucks with shots 12yds and under.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I have used cloth camo tape, no shine, cheap stuff picked up at Wally World most likely, never had any problems with it. just one more thing we do to disappear.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Joel Spring wrote:

(I always thought a taxidermy squirrel would be the perfect bow camo....if a deer sees you draw, he looks up and sees a squirrel....maybe a battery-powered twitching tail......)

Joel

Joel: How about getting dressed in a squirrel suit? I'd PAY to see that!!! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Well, Woods Walker...I would dress like a squirrel, but would probably end up like this:

Joel

Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Hey!, arn't those the same two comandos that were helping Retch with that tower stand? Fierce little bastards, I will say! What are they using for ammo? Well at least they will have a squirrel skin rug for the tower stand now to keep thier feet warm and quiet. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Best Practices