Ozone Generators

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
tonybow

Ozone Generators

Postby tonybow » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 am

I've seen the ads from more than one company promoting the use of ozone generators to eliminate or cover human scent while hunting. From an "air cleaner" perspective, this makes sense. However, after using an in-home air cleaner many times, it is obvious that ozone, at a certain concentration, produces a strong scent of its own. Have the deer figured this out yet, or how long will it take for them to do so? On the other hand, at a low enough concentration, outdoors, will the ozone smell be diluted enough that the animals will not smell it?? Just thinkin'. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

bobow

Re: Ozone Generators

Postby bobow » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:34 am

I have an ozone machine that I use in the business once in a great while to get rid of dead animal smells.

I do put it in the room I use for hunting equipment and set it on low so you can barely smell it. I figure it helps get rid of any odors and by the time I walk out to the area any ozone smell will be gone.

I have had good luck in the past with deer coming in from downwind and not getting busted. Maybe they just think I smell sweet? :D

Nothing scientific just my personal observation & opinion.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 am

I've thought they've looked interesting too. We use some enclosed stands during rifle and muzzleloader season and with it on you'd think it'd take care of alot of your scent that sneaks through the cracks.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm

bowman12 wrote:I've thought they've looked interesting too. We use some enclosed stands during rifle and muzzleloader season and with it on you'd think it'd take care of alot of your scent that sneaks through the cracks.

I've used one in the past to remove odors from my veterinary clinic and they work great. I've got a friend who repairs electronics for insurance companies when homes are damaged (Lightning strikes, fires, smoke etc.) and he'll repair the TV's and stuff, wipe them down to remove the soot but when they still have a smokey smell, he puts them n a small enclosed space and runs an ozone generator on high for 24 hours. Presto, no smokey smell remains at all.

I'm going to try the same thing with all my hunting clothes, guns, crossbow, boots, backpacks etc. this year before the season. If it works, I'll report back.

Never run one in an enclosed space where people are present. Could be extremely dangerous. At the office, I only run mine at night when odors are a problem and cut off first thing in the morning. Ozone smell disappears quickly and the office has no smell at all shortly....

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 am

I saw it on a hunting show, so it must work.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 pm

This is one that has some sound scientific background too though Swamp... Ozone is basically a radical form of oxygen that interacts and breaks down all kinds of other molecules. I can't see that it would be super beneficial to use in an open air tree stand, but if you're sitting in a blind where the ozone can mix with the scent molecules being produced it would definitely cut down on your scent. The one downside is that too much ozone in an enclosed space can kill you...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Deebz wrote:This is one that has some sound scientific background too though Swamp... Ozone is basically a radical form of oxygen that interacts and breaks down all kinds of other molecules. I can't see that it would be super beneficial to use in an open air tree stand, but if you're sitting in a blind where the ozone can mix with the scent molecules being produced it would definitely cut down on your scent. The one downside is that too much ozone in an enclosed space can kill you...

Very true Deebz....ozone in high concentrations is dangerous.....But I can tell all it absolutely does remove odors from objects and the air...I don't watch hunting shows and I don't sell ozone generators, but I have seen the odor removing (not masking) ability of the machine...

I still don't see any way in heck it could do any real good in an open air setting....As you mentioned, high enough concentrations in a blind to be effective might be deadly...When I use it, it's not in the animal holding areas, we turn it on high at night and open the windows for a few minutes the next morning...offensive odors are gone....I may try to test objects with my dogs to see if they can find objects they currently are trained on after an ozone treatment...

I wonder if the drug smugglers have tried this technology?.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 pm

If carbon absorbs scent (scent lok) and Ozone destroys odor by breaking it up, is there any chance that ozone could be used to re activate scentlok? :?:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:20 pm

kellory wrote:If carbon absorbs scent (scent lok) and Ozone destroys odor by breaking it up, is there any chance that ozone could be used to re activate scentlok? :?:

I have no idea, but theoretically, it should work....I don't own any scent lock and hadn't planned on buying any because of the one time use benefit..I guess we need some chemical engineers to chime in on it....
:D

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

It technically doesn't take away the smell it just kills the molecules that do it. It takes away all of the oxygen in the air so they can't breathe and die. I worked at a detail shop for about ten years. Amazing machine. Why too much ozone in a concentrated area would kill you. Can't breathe at all just carbon dioxide in the air then.

Next

Return to Best Practices