getting to your stand (quick and quiet...and sent free)

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ct-hunter

getting to your stand (quick and quiet...and sent free)

Postby ct-hunter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm

I resently aquired rights to bow hunt on a new proporty and there is one other bowhunter hunting there already. he has the best spot it seems on the outside edge of the proporty in a stand of oaks at a natural funnel.

The landowner wants me to stay on the other end of the proporty (very small) which is lots of brush surounding an old alfalfa field the deer love. the only trees around are a few small pines and some swamp maples. I set a stand in a swamp maple but I feel I am still too far off the field and too far from the action.

Should I set a blind on the edge of the field near the brush where the deer are or hold tight on the out skirts......something just doesnt feel right about the far edge.

The other hunter has the best area to get to also b/c he has a old dirt road leading to the base of his stand basiclly and i have to tromps through the woods spreading me sent all over :cry:

Proline

Re: getting to your stand (quick and quiet...and sent free)

Postby Proline » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 am

Maybe look for another spot on different property. It hard to tell you what to do with out seeing the property but that said the most concerning thing you said is "something doesn't feel right" If there is one thing I have learned in my years the spot you pick you have to be comfortable in. If not your mind will talk you out of it fast.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 am

I agree with Proline. Especially if the property is as small as you say. You won't make any hunting friends by sitting close to a guy who has already been hunting there. Probably the right thing to do is to keep looking.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Coming from a guy who has only 1 small area to hunt, and shares it with 2 other guys (1 of which is new this year), I wouldn't give up ANY access to hunting ground.

It's a little late now, but in the off-season you should (with the landowner's permission) go in with a weed eater and blaze a bit of a path through the thick stuff that will allow you to access your stand. That will make it easier to get in and out quickly and quietly. Setting up a ground blind just inside the tree line could work very well also, I would just suggest you brush it in as good as you can. Also you may want to set it up when you know you won't be hunting the area for at least 4 or 5 days (before a rain helps too) to allow the deer to get accustomed and your scent to dissipate.

Proline is absolutely correct in that you need to feel comfortable where you're sitting or you'll never really be able to enjoy hunting that location...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 pm

How small are the pines? can you get a blind inside the pine? Will the land owner allow you to trim the trees? I have hung a fixed stand inside a large pine a couple of times, You might try a small pop up like a outhouse blind (smaller than the doghouse) inside the base of the pine or pines. Pines are obvious but innocent if you know what I mean.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Best Practices