New Trail Cam

DeerAddict

New Trail Cam

Postby DeerAddict » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi, I'm new to this so i'm kinda gettin used to it. I'm lookin to getta new trail camera and I think I have it narrowed down to the Cuddeback Capture, and the new Bushnell Trophy Cam with the built in color viewer. I can't decide on which one to get and if anyone has any suggestions or advice please let me know what you think.

I like the Cuddeback's trigger speed and everything, but i've read alot of bad reviews on it so I don't know if i should get it.

The Bushnell Trophy Cam looks really good, the battery life sounds great, and I really like how it has a built in picture viewer, but its alot of money to spend for me.

Please tell me which one you think I should get, which ones better, or if I should think about not getting either one. thnks

4khorn

RE: New Trail Cam

Postby 4khorn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I got a bushnell trophy cam for christmas last year and I love it! Set up is a breeze and the battery life is very good. Also, I have not looked into the pricing of the Capture, but Cuddeback has always been more expensive. The Bushnell is definately worth its price. Got mine on sale for $170. I got the one without the built in viewer. If you have 2 memory cards and switch them out each time, I don't see much advantage to it. You just have to wait a bit longer to view the pics. When you do, you wont be disappointed. The quality of the pictures is awesome, especially the daytime photos. Here are some that I have captured so far.

My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

grizz

Postby grizz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:43 pm

I had 3 Cuddie's they take great quality pictures. Battery life so- so
service from them not real good
My son had a Bushnell and kept running away taking pixs of nothing just sent it back
We have 5 Scoutguards this cam is awesome,small good pixs and vidieo,battery life is unbelievable
I also have the new Primos trying that one now.
checkout this web site
chasinggame.com for more reviews

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:42 am

I own a Bushnell Trophy Cam and my 2 brothers own Cuddebacks, both types of cameras take great pictures. I prefer my Bushnell over the cuddeback because my Trophy Cam has a burst mode which allows the camera to take multiple pictures of the same subject allowing you to get some more detail if the deer or whatever turns and gives you a different angle. I also got well over 1000 pictures on a single set of 8 AA batteries.

I do agree with 4khorn on the viewer. there really is no need to have it, just have 2 different cards and switch them out. If you really feel the need to see the pictures like I do during the season you can buy a portable viewer to carry in your backpack.

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm not sure if I'll get a trophy cam r not cause i've heard the newest 2010 models have a lotta problems. Not sure if thats true r not but I think I might jst wait a little while before I decide for sure.

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 am

I agree with the others that while the viewer may be a nice option if it were free, just switching out the cards is fine. Also, what I do if I'm out in the field is bring my digital camera so I can pop in the SD card and view my pics.

As far as the cameras, I can't speak for the Bushnell but I couldn't be happier with my Cuddeback Capture. I've had it about a year an a half and it has been in the field for all of that time except for approximately 3 months. Battery life is good, takes great pictures, has great trigger speed, and is easy to use. I've only tried a couple of other cameras in the past that made me want to give up on the technology all together, but I don't have as much experience as many of the other people on here.

What I can tell you is that getting a camera that actually works is SO much fun! I used to trap when I was a kid and I find that going to check my camera gives me the same level of anticipation that I had when I was checking my trap line! I wouldn't wait. There is so much info around, both good and bad about MOST cameras that if you believed it all, you wouldn't buy anything. If you have the money, buy something soon because you'll really have fun with it....life is too short to be indecisive about the little things!

mbcook

Postby mbcook » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am

I am making the same decision you are between the two i have a cuddeback capture now that i have had since christmas it has started taking a bunch of pics every 30 seconds for no good reason i have tried to talk to customer service about this problem and its not going so good, so i think i am going with the bushnell personally.....I also heard they were having problems with the 2010 model but that was at the begining of the year i have now heard they have gotten the bugs worked out and they work great, the cuddeback takes great pics when its working, but the battery life is short especially compared to the bushnell

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Nice to here from you mbcook. Let me know if you get a trophy cam and what you think of it.

I think if I get one i'll jst get one without the viewer like all of you guys suggested.

My current camera wont even work with an SD card so I just have to use the internal memory. It has the slot for the SD card, but i put one in and the pictures wont save onto it for some reason. I guess that's what i'm affraid what will happen with a new camera, but i dont think it will with more of an expensive camera like the bushnell trophy cam. I guess I might find out.

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:10 am

I've decided i'm going to get a trophy cam but i'm not sure which model to get.. Should I try and get the 2009 model?? Or just get the 2010 model??

I hear tons of good reviews on the 2009 model, but I dont hear much bout the 2010, so i'm not sure which one I should get.

lostmyarrow

Postby lostmyarrow » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 am

DeerAddict: I have seven of the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail cameras.  These all have the viewer which is 1.8 inch and is useless for the extra price. I started out with the viewer model and being I was well satisfied with that camera series, this is why I bought the rest all the same. Sometimes buying the same brand but in a different series, things don't work as good. Bushnell recommends using a SanDisk SD card. I am able to use SanDisk, Verbatim and Kodak with good success, up to a 2GB card. Bushnell has a weak buckle, so care must be taken, not to over tighten especially in colder weather. Battery life is excellent, where one can use either 4 or 8 batteries. If using 4 batteries, they must all be installed in either the top or bottom section. Each section is wired in series, then the two sections are wired in parallal. By doing this you still only have 6 volt, but double the lasting power, like putting a larger battery in a vehicle.
Viewing other forums I have read various complaints on the 2010 Bushnell: one of the most common is continuing taken (runaway pictures), and also white outs due to over exposure (having 32 LEDs instead of 24). Hopefully the model produced later in the year will have this corrected.
Advantages of the 2010 model: 1) larger SD card capacity, 2) larger viewing screen if you require one, 3) Bone Collector series, 4) extra LEDs for better night time pictures. 5) I believe they are also putting the time and date stamp on the pictures. The 2009 model does this to video only.   
For the additional price of the Bone Collector, buy some flat camo paint: get some leaves and sticks and make your own personalized camo pattern. I used camo tape for a project one time, but this is very shiny.
Looking on the back of the camera package on the lower right hand side, you will find the model and year of manufacture. This is where I located my 2009 information.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your camera choice.

Return to Scouting Cameras