Trail Cam Mounting Question

nuideas1

Trail Cam Mounting Question

Postby nuideas1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:09 am

Fellow trail cam users, I have hunted for quite some but never used a trail cam. This year will be a fisrt for me. I have heard of many camera's being stolen and am aware you can only do so much to prevent that. Along those lines I have a few ideas and would like suggestions from those with experiance. My idea is this..To use screw in tree steps to get the camera out of reach around 12 feet or so and aim it down at my food plot. Once it is installed and tested remove most of the steps so will be harder to reach without some planning. In addition I plan to cable it to the tree. My big question is will aiming it down cause problems with the functionality? I know I will lose a bit of range but am willing to sacrifice that for added security. Any advice would be helpful.

extroverted

RE: Trail Cam Mounting Question

Postby extroverted » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:05 am

Nuideas1
Hope you aren't trying to invent the wheel again, LOL just kidding!!
But listen your new adventure already sounds like a lot of work and really is not necessary for getting some pictures. First things first, if you plan on getting your pictures you will need to climb the tree every so often to get them, way to much fun if you ask me!!! And then there is the constant battle of changing batteries out. I personally have never had a problem with my cams being stolen; I have ten cams out in the woods for the past 3 years on 14 different properties. I guess it helps to know the people whom own the land. Just keep in mind that the cam you want to use needs to be inexpensive, that way if someone steals it you won't be out of that much money. I also never lock or cable my cameras.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:27 am

nuideas1, I have a method that works pretty good but you'll need 2 cameras. I know that sounds expensive but it's not as expensive as losing one camera!

I pick my spot and set up my camera. I use a cable lock on that camera just to discourage any would be thieves. I then use a cheaper camera and point it to the original camera! I place the second camera high enough in a tree that no one will see it. If someone steals the first camera, you'll know who did it! It works well and I know of at least one person who got caught. Stealing a trail camera is a felony in most states because of the cost of the camera. If you make an example out of one person, word travels fast!

Another alternative is to buy a satellite camera, one that sends you pictures in real time to your email. You would then get the picture before they had a chance to steal the camera. These cameras are pretty expensive though, so you may want to try the first strategy first.

I hope that helps!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

nuideas1

Postby nuideas1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:31 am

Yes guys your comments help. Extroverted, I have considered that I will need to climb to maintain the camera and am OK with that. I use lock on stands almost exclusively and am used to taking them down after most hunts. Your experiance with not ever losing a camere is RARE. Most people I have talked with have lost a camera or several.
 M. A., Your comment is most helpful as you seem to have not had issue mounting your second camera in an elevated posistion. Good idea! I see no reason why this shouldn't work as long as the angle isn't too steep.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:44 pm

M.A. A buddy of mine has the same type of system on his cams!!!
Two cams one watching the other.
I guess I am fortunate enough not to have someone walk off with my cams, although like my girl friend says, it could be because the cams are usually far back in the woods and hidden from most people, that they just don't see them to take them.
Knock on wood.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:44 pm

I've seen a few guys set their camera's up pretty high in a tree aiming downward to get a picture....it seems to work fairly well,you may not get as much ground coverage when the Deer comes in but it will make for some interesting pictures!If you use an IR camera its not going to be as noticable as a "Flash" camera so that in itself would help it to not be seen and if You would use the Summit "Buck Steps" they would be easier to put up and take down to climb a tree plus it wouldn't leave any marks or damage the tree.I always lock/cable my camera's to a tree...sometimes I use 2 sets of cables and locks if there is more than one hole or area to lock the camera,and I have found the nice rubber-coated bicycle cables to be the best to use because they extend a little further and the are good and thick steel cables that stay nice year round. 

If You can't find a tree limb that lets you hang your camera on over-head they make several nice mounting brackets that can be used to lean and aim your camera downward in the right position.

Return to Scouting Cameras