Batteries for your camera's

lostmyarrow

RE: Batteries for your camera's

Postby lostmyarrow » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:15 pm

extroverted: Many thanks for the information on the solar panels. I'll keep the information on file so I'll have it if I decide to go that route in the future.

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:59 am

battery info update-Had an old 12volt lawn and garden battery I bought 6 years ago and never used it.  I charged it, bought the battery terminal connectors, and found a "lost" wall charger plug that fit into my Wildview external battery port.  I set the camera and battery up in the kitchen (busy room) for 24hrs set for 6 pictures (set for flash) every minute and then changed it to 3 pics every minute once it hit 400 pics.   By the end of the 24hrs I had about 840 pics taken-the battery meter read 12.3 after 840 pics (started at 12.4)!  I'm pretty sure this should save a ton batteries over the course of one season (the battery is only $20 at Fleet Farm, connectors are like $.20 for two and the wall plug was just an old wall charger from something).

Has anyone else tried this type of set up and what was the outcome?  
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

lostmyarrow

Postby lostmyarrow » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:20 pm

billcurry: I did similiar to what you did. I first tried a 12 volt 300 energizer from my lawn tractor. I was using the Wild View Ez Cam. This was tested in late fall and during winter months. I found this to be satisfactory, so I puchased more of this series of batteries. I also used more of the same Wild View Ez Cam as I was happy with the pictures providing the camera was set up properly, not facing into the rising or setting sun. I ended up with a bunch of faulty batteries. Some of the cameras would be checked every three or four days due to being used for security purposes. These batteries were checked using a multimeter. Any that showed 10 or 11 volt or lower were swapped out. The low batteries were put in the warm over night, then recharged. Finally after much testing, these batteries failed to carry a load when tested with a load meter. I also used a couple of Spy Point IRB cameras. Where I really discovered the faults was when I put one of these fully charged batteries back in my ride on lawnmower: it failed to spin it over properly. I then thoroughly cleaned all my ground conections, switch and checked for continuity in the wiring. All checked okay. I even did a double check with another mechanic using his load meter with the same result. Replacing with a good battery, everything worked. Depending on animal movement in cold weather, the Wild View took pictures down to -30 degrees fahrenheit. I used wall chargers as well. Clipped off the transformer, checked the center of the barrel plug to the end wire for continuity. The wire from the center of the barrel was marked "+" as this has to go to the "+" of the battery. Reversing will damage the 12 volt section of the camera. These cameras all have a resistor cutting the internal power to 6 volt.  

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 am

lostmyarrow-you said the Wildviews "have a reistor cutting the internal power to 6 volt"---what does that mean?  Does it mean I could use a 6 volt battery and still get it to work? How many pictures could you get with your 12volt lawn mower battery before recharging it?  Thanks for info!  I would let you know how many pics I get BUT I drove back to our land early yesterday morning to put my three cams out and forgot to pack the cams in the car before leaving-at least I remembered the batteries! lol  (I'm not even gonna ask how many of you guys have forgot the cams/batteries/SD cards/etc when setting out or checking your cams.)
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

lostmyarrow

Postby lostmyarrow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:25 pm

billcurry: The Wild View camera uses 4 each "C" batteries rated at 1.5 volt each. There for 4 batteries times 1.5 volt equals a total of six volt. By using the 12 volt battery and the resistor which only permits 6 volt actually entering the operating system of your camera you have double the battery storage capacity. WildView has this already built in. On the bottom of the camera you will see the 12 volt port for a barrel type plug. Center of the plug is positive.
     Another thing to look at: I am going to name Energizer 12 volt as this is what I have been using. This brand of battery comes in 160, 200 and 300 series. The higher the number refers to cranking amps. So if one used say the 300 series (300 cranking amps) for starting an engine it has more power (reserve capacity) than say the 160 or 200. The higher cranking amps the more pricey the battery. Using the 12 volt battery in colder weather, your camera will still keep working longer than using the "C" batteries. Cold weather is very hard on smaller batteries as they don't put out the same voltage. As an example, leave a flash light out in a vehicle in winter over night, then turn it on the next morning. The light will be very dim. Now that we are into summer, put the flash light in the deep freeze or refrigerator for a little while. The longer it is left in the cold, the dimmer the light. When checking my camera, I always carry a digital multimeter to check the "C" batteries or the 12 volt battery if I am using it. One can also buy "C" rechargeable batteries rated at 1.5 volt and the charger at most Wal Mart stores. The charge is good for "AAA", "AA", "C", "D" and it also has a 9 volt port. The charger is good for Nickel Hydride and also Alkaline batteries. Just don't mix them when charging. The batteries go under the name of "Pure Energy". I am testing the "C" batteries at present in my Wild View. I don't know how they will stand up in cold weather. I am using Pure Energy "AA" in my 2009 Bushnell Trophy Camera with good success for the last couple of months. For cold weather, if these don't stand up I'll use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. These are not rechargeable. 
     As to your question on how many pictures, this will depend on: (1) how much animal activity you have, (2) vegetation movement caused by wind, rain or snow depending on the season, (3) the size of SD card- 512 Mb, 1 GB or 2GB and the length of time before the camera is rechecked. Wild View will accept these three sizes and I have used the following brands: SanDisk and Lexar.
     I also put a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood, cut to the size of the base of the battery under it. This way the battery will not freeze to the ground and can be removed with out damaging it. Also when storing any battery do not place it directly on cement. For whatever reason a battery stored on cement will die in a very short time. Put ply wood, a piece of wood (2x4, 2x6) etc. under it or set it up on a wood bench or shelf.
     One member on another forum also mentioned, the wire going from the 12 volt battery to the camera, if you have squirrels in the area, to make a paste of cayenne pepper and rub it on the wiring. Squirrels love to chew on things. Personally I had not used this. What I did was put some small branches over the wire for a distraction. I do not know if the smell would bother animals you are trying to get pictures of. Good luck.

Bestok

Re: Batteries for your camera's

Postby Bestok » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:29 pm

I think you're right.Sometimes eat batteries simply because of the cause of the poor quality of the battery.

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras