I wonder if my camera is working right now.

4khorn

I wonder if my camera is working right now.

Postby 4khorn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:19 pm

I got a new Bushnell Trophy Cam as a gift for Christmas and I set it up a few days ago.  Since then the temperature has dropped into the single digits.  I was wondering what kind of performance I can expect out of my camera at these temps.  Perhaps I should make the trip out to retrieve it and wait til it gets warmer.  Thanks for the input!

SHKYBoonie

RE: I wonder if my camera is working right now.

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Leave that camera be my friend! It will do it's job. I have had 2 of the Bushnell Trophy Cams out sense July and they have worked flawlessly. I get about 5000 pics on one set of batteries. We have had some very cold weather in KY lately and my cameras are working strong. I have only changed the batteries in them once all year long. They are amazing tools!

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:14 pm

I passed by a couple of cams this morning while out coyote hunting.  One was working, the other was not.  The one that wasn't working is running (was running) off of a lead acid external battery.  I did not have "back up" D cell batteries installed. I was curious how long the lead acid battery would work.  The cam that was working is running on C batteries.  I suppose lead acid batteries don't do too well in the extreme cold...2 degrees F. 

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Sounds like you have had a good experience with these cams Boonie.  Would you mind sharing what settings you have run them on? 

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:20 pm

I have them set on one 5mp picture every 2 minutes. I set them about 3 feet from the ground on the tree I pick. I try to keep them about 10 yards from where I expect the deer to be when it take a picture. I always try to point them as North as possible, because the sun will cause the picture to white-out from glare. I use 8 AA batteries and have only changed them once in 6 months. That was only because I knew I wouldn't be back to check them for a while, but the old batteries where still showing they had some life left.

Check out the "Bushnell Trophy Cam" thread under this same heading. I did a very detailed post on there about these cams vs. all the others I have used through the years. There are also some sample pics that I have taken with these cameras.

Good Luck!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:10 pm

My trophy cam has been out and we have had below 0 temps and single digits. I was simply amazed how many pics it has been taking and the battery life left with such cold temperatures here in Northern NY, Its absolutely amazing.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:40 am

Awesome! I'm feeling confident now that my cam is doing its job. Thanks everyone.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:22 am

You would be surprized at how resiliant some of the trail camera's can be,as long as it has a good seal it can keep working even in freezing weather.I've had my Moultrie I-60 camera out in this cold weather we're having and it was taking pictures in the middle of the night while it was snowing!I usually carry my spare batteries when I'm out checking my camera in case one has taken several pictures and it is low on battery life and it may be a while before I get back out to check them...I use the Energizer re-chargable D batteries and its a more cheaper to keep recharging them than buying new batteries all the time.I'm thinking about getting the larger solar powered charger for my camera,it actually has its own battery built into the charger itself so it keeps the camera working and if for some reason its cloudy or stormy for several days and the solar charger runs down the trail camera will run off the batteries inside it then. 

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:31 am

Gto... I have a few of the D-40's and was always curious how well rechargeable batteries would work in them.
Are they good for winter and summer? And how often do you need to switch them out?
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:25 am

Shadow..I've been using my Energizer Rechargable D-batteries in my I-60 Moultrie Camera and they do just fine and last a good while.If I put my Camera on the 15 second Video it will use up more SD card space and battery life when I get a lot of Deer,racoon and squirrels on it but I just keep an extra set of batteries charged up and when I check my camera I change them out and bring the worn down batteries home and recharge them again so in the long run the rechargable batteries pay for themselves.In the Winter time the cold weather is definetly harder on the batteries and will not last as long as say the warmer days of Spring,Summer and Fall.

Now I have the older Moultrie Trail Camera and it uses the larger square 6V 4.5 Ah/20HR batteries and they don't last near as long as the regular round battery's.I ended up buying a few extra batteries from our local Feed & Hardware Store that are actually from Wildgame Innovations Game Feeders model #6VB battery,they are the same battery as the Moultrie's and easier to find where I live rather than ordering via the Internet through Moultrie.The best route to go would be to buy the solar chargers,they are constantly charging the batteries and You don't have to worry about dead batteries out in the field!   

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras