bushnell trophy cams

TeamHammer

bushnell trophy cams

Postby TeamHammer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 pm

we have been using the cuddebacks for a while and they do an amazing job, we are considering expanding our arsenal this year and have been looking into the bushnell trophy cams. anyone use this camera?

grizz

RE: bushnell trophy cams

Postby grizz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:40 pm

I alos have 3 Cuddibacks and they are great. Tried all the rest there so so in camparasion.
This Feb bought the Scoutguard which is the same as the Busnell great Lil camera ended up buying another. Got real good battey life out of them to.

RedBud

Postby RedBud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 am

I have been using Wildview Xtreme 2.  I bought two of the Bushnell Trophy Cams and tested them in the house.  They are much faster than my old cameras.  I haven't used a Cuddiback, so I don't know how they compare to it.  I wanted to use one of the Bushnell Trophy Cams as a security camera.  The flash is not visible but the leds glow red.  As a result, it may not work very well as a security camera.  It shouldn't be a problem taking pictures of deer.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:50 am

Yup.  I bought the Bushnell Trophy cam this year.  I have no complaints at all with the cam.  

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:27 am

I have used the Moultrie Game Spy 200 for the last 3 years.  They worked good but I wanted to try the IR flash so I went to the Moultrie I40.  Purchased two for the 2009 season and was suprised to find they would lock up on me when I went from set-up to ready mode while changing out the  SD cards.  Plus the process was a nightmare whoever designed the SD card port.  Returned both and got myself two of those cute little Bushnell Trophy Cams.  Got a super deal on E-Bay.  $160 each was a steal.  8 Double A batteries have lasted two months so far.  I'm getting pictures of Bucks that I had no idea were in the neighborhood.  These cameras are PERFECT for throwing in your back pack and hanging while hunting.  Just absolutely simple to program and hang.  The SD cards are a 3 second retrieve.  Pop two simple side clips, open and pop the card out of the bottom.  Replace, turn back on and close her up.  Pictures are as good or better than my old Moultries, which I considered excellent!  These are the first in what I predict will be the way all other manufactures will strive for. The size is just unbelievable.  Perfect to hide out of the way.  It's been down to single digit temps here in NY and they still work great!  I love them.  Never used a Cudde but I can't imagine they're better.  Trigger speed here seems to be instantaneous.  I get 2-3 pictures of myself everytime I change out my cards, no matter how hard I try to avoid it. These cams are the future as far as I'm concerned.  Buy one!  You won't be disappointed!

Good Hunting,
J-Bow
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:13 pm

I purchased one and just like alot of cams there are pros and cons. The pros are they are small and have excellent battery life. I have 3 Moultries and 1 Bushnell Trophy cam and it got below 0 here a few nights and all the other cams had dead batteries except the Bushnell and they had already been in there a few weeks. A con is that (mine anyway) doesn't have a very far sensor range. It seems like something needs to be 10 yards infront of it to set it off. I would like to try a cuddeback capture to compare them to since they are both close to the same price.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:24 pm

reeper0697, unlike your other cameras the Bushnell Trophy cams have a sensitivity setting. You probably have it set to LOW. It comes programed to the LOW setting from the factory. If you didn't change it then that will be your problem.

I have owned every brand of camera made, I think. I have an old Moultrie camera that was a good deal 4 years ago when I bought it. With the cameras now days the Moultrie's pictures look like Polaroid quality. I don't know much about the new ones.

The Stealth Cam cameras are a little different. The cheaper Stealth Cam 540IR's have worked great for me and I leave my cameras out all year. I have a couple of the 540IR's working for me right now and they are about 2 years old. I figured if they worked that good then the higher priced Stealth Cam Prowler's would be even better. I was sooo wrong. I bought 2 and they have spent more time getting shipped back and forth to Stealth Cam than in the woods. They are junk! These are the ones Jim Shockey put his name on.

I have 2 of the higher priced Cuddieback cams that I bought back before the Capture models came out. They are good cameras. They take great pics and they have reasonably good battery life, but they are expensive!

I bought 2 of the Bushnell Trophy cams at the QDMA National Convention this year. I talked to one of the reps there and asked alot of questions. He answered all of my questions and it sounded like this little camera was too good to be true. Then the rep told me that if I bought them and didn't think they were the best cameras I have ever used, Bushnell would refund my money including the cost of shipping them back to them. He gave me his name and number and told me to contact him directly if I didn't like them. Now, that's a bold statement! This was back in the Summer and I took 2 of them home. The next weekend I took them out to the farm and hung them on a tree. A month later I went back to change out the cards and all. I always take a set of batteries for each of my cameras so I can keep them fresh. Each Bushnell had taken almost 1000 pictures and the batteries still showed full. I couldn't believe it, but I left the batteries in them anyway just to see how long they would go.

Before the Bushnell cams, the CuddieBack cams had the best battery life of any of my cameras. They are good for about 1500 pictures depending on how many were day or night photos. I just changed out the Bushnell's batteries about 3 weeks ago. They were still showing that they had a little life in them, but I knew I wouldn't be back out there for awhile. I have gotten almost 5000 pics per Bushnell cam on one set of 8 AA batteries. The trigger speed is awesome! I have used them on trails as well as feeders. The daytime photos are usually good on any of the cameras out there, but you can definitely tell the difference in the night photos.

I am going to replace all of my cameras next year with the Bushnell Trophy Cams.

These are pics to use as a comparison. The first 2 are the Bushnell Trophy Cams. The 3 pic is the Stealth Cam 540IR and the 4th is an older Bushnell Trail Sentry Cam. There isn't alot of difference in the Trophy Cam and the Stealth Cam because they are both 5 MP. The Older Bushnell is a 3 MP camera and so are my CuddieBacks. The BIG difference is the battery life. 5000+ on the Trophy Cam, 1500+/- on the CuddieBack, 1200+/- on the Stealth Cam and only about 300+/- on the older cams I have.

Hope this will help. I have done alot of my own research on finding the best camera and if the Bushnell Trophy Cams cost $300 each, they would still be a better value than any of the others.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:15 am

SHKYBoonie, I have it set to high. Mine just doesn't have the sensor range of distance that 2 of my Moultrie D40's do (especially one of them). This just limits what I can get pics of out in one of our main plots.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:10 am

That's odd to me reeper. My Bushnell's are just the opposite. I have to keep them turned down so I don't get pics of deer too far out to tell what they are. The first month I put the cameras out I had alot of pics that were just a pair of eyes in a field. It might just be your camera, I don't know. Sorry I couldn't help.

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 am

I have to agree 100% with SHKYBoonie.  The range on my Bushnell Trophy is superb.  It's rated at like 50 feet and I would say it's good to at least that distance. I'm 100% satisfied.  How can you go wrong for the price? 
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras