Using trail cam w/no computer?

AlleganBowhunter

Using trail cam w/no computer?

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey guys.

Long to short, I borrowed a cheap cam from my bro in law.  Showed my father in law how it works, and got some pics of some deer near his bow stand.  He is interested in getting one but does not have a computer nor has any interest in getting one.

Whats available for viewing the pictures?  Say on his TV??

How about storing the pics he wants to keep?  Any alternatives to paying for name brand trail cam viewing equipment?

Thanks

Happy hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Bart

RE: Using trail cam w/no computer?

Postby Bart » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:11 pm

I found a 7" digital photo viewer at Wal-Mart for $50.  I took the frame off and plug it into a $15 12volt to 110 volt inverter in the car while in the field.  A third the price of the photo viewers from the likes of cuddeback, moultrie, leaf river, etc. and you can actually see the pictures on the 7" screen.  He needs two flash cards per camera.  Then simply switch cards and view in the car with the inverter or at home.  Very simple.  I made sure I got one that reads compactflash cards as I have some cameras that use compactflash and others that use SD cards.  Some newer viewers don't read compactflash. Make sure you get one that does if you need it.  Most all will read SD cards which is the current standard.  Very little learning curve here.  With my photo viewer, as soon as you put the card in and power up it begins to read the card then show the pictures one at a time with a few second interval.  If he wanted to save a picture he could take the disk the next day to a photo processor, i.e. Wal-Mart or Walgreens and have them print the pictures he wants then delete the rest.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm

What Bart said .....
I have a digital picture frame that was given to me for Christmas several years ago . Just insert the SD card and view pics . I don't think it will show the pics from my wildview trail cam but will the others .
Semper Fi !

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks for the ideas.  Will check into them.

Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

The Moultrie Trail Camera's have a TV video jack or a computer cable to view pictures on straight from the camera itself and like what was mentioned on the SD cards you can take into Wal-Mart and view your pictures on there also.Some hand-held digital camera's will also accept SD cards from trail camera's while others may not because of any IR pictures.My more expensive Kodak digital camera will not view any IR pictures from my Moultrie I-60 camera but my Daughters cheaper Kodak camera will?Certain Trail Camera's have the built-in viewers where you can see what pictures you have out in the field then you can decide to pull the SD card or even delete unwanted pictures there.I like my Moultrie I-60 trail camera becasue it is easy to use and I can set it on 1,2 or 3 continuous still pictures or on 5,15 or 30 second video's and it also takes a still picture after the video for time,date,temp and moon phase references.I have caught several interesting pictures on video that I would never had known about if it wasn't set there and saw some really neat things the Deer have done,or even crossed past the camera and it was caught on video.

Another thing to consider is that You shouldn't believe all the bragging some of the Trail Camera's Companies do about the performance of their Trail Camera's,always read about the Customers Reviews on how well the camera performs,ask others on the internet how they like their certain camera's they use and You can also check other Sites that have lots of info about the quality and performance of the trail camera's on the market today!

www.chasinggame.com   

Return to Scouting Cameras