Predator TrailCam - Evolution XR

FFKEVIN

Predator TrailCam - Evolution XR

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 am

[font="Tahoma"]I just wanted to tell everybody about a new trail camera I purchased -
[color=#000000]Predator TrailCam - Evolution XR

http://www.predatortrailcams.com/

I have been a Moultrie camera user since 2000, but I decided to try something new.

I saw the Predator TrailCam on the web and liked what I saw so I decided to give them a try. I was not disappointed!!!

Here are some of the features I like -

TRUE NO VISIBLE FLASH - On my Moultrie I-40 cameras, when the flash goes off, there is a dim red glow on the LED's. When the flash goes off on the Predator Evolution XR, there is NO visible flash at all.

EASY PICTURE VIEWING - In the Predator TrailCams you can use a memory stick instead of a card, so it is easy to see them on any computer. No card reader needed. Predator TrailCams even includes a FREE 2GB memory stick with each camera!!! Also, with the view screen on the camera you can view photos with ease in the field. (The photos are not the highest resolution I have seen on a trail camera, but it is definitely good enough for photos of deer...)

AWESOME SECURITY - The Predator TrailCams has an awesome mounting system that you can put a python cable lock through and secure it to a tree. It also lets you program in a custom 4-digit security code so if someone does steal it, they can't use it.

AWESOME VIDEO - This camera has the best video I have seen with a trail camera. You can even view the video on the touch screen in the camera. This camera even takes night time IR videos!!!

AWESOME BATTERY LIFE - Although it does take 10 AA batteries, they last forever. I used 10 Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries, and the power level is almost the same as it was 2 months ago.

EASE OF USE - The touch screen is amazing! Setup is a breeze. Insert batteries and memory stick, turn it on, and touch one of the options on the touch screen, close it up and that's it.

BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE - When something would happen to my Moultrie cameras it would take 2+ months for me to get it fixed and returned to me. I needed the software updated on my Predator camera, I sent it to them, they fixed it and I had it back 2 days after they received it!!!

I love this new camera so much, I ordered another one just the other day!!!

Below are some photos.[/font][/color]

�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

shadow

RE: Predator TrailCam - Evolution XR

Postby shadow » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:38 am

Those are some good quality photo's. A few questions though. During the 2 months of use with those batteries, how many pictures did you get?
And you bought this new? Why did you need a software upgrade so soon?
I now have three D-40's, and am looking into getting another camera and am researching the different brands.

With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:51 am

[font="Tahoma"]Hey Shadow,

During the 2 months I got over 2000 photos. As I said before I used the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries which cost between $20 - $24 for 12 batteries. Expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. Also, the temps were not too cold out and it seems on any camera I've ever had the batteries don't last as long when it is freezing or below. So I am interested to see how it does when it gets colder.

I did not buy this camera new. I found their website and liked what I saw, so I did a search on eBay and got a store floor model for a cheaper cost than new. When I got it I read about the firmware upgrades on the forum on their website and decided to get it updated before I even used it. (I guess I shouldn't have said I "needed" it updated, it was just my choice. I was not having any problems, I just wanted the latest upgrade...) Everyone I dealt with was as nice as could be and my camera was back to me in less than a week after I sent it to them!

I hope this answered your questions. I'll get more photos on here in a few weeks after I switch the memory sticks.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks for answering my questions about this camera. This is a good looking camera I will be looking into one.
I like the fact that there is no flash or red glow, and that it uses the AA battery as opposed to C's or D's. (I am able to get AA for free). I'd like to see some of your night pics.
Thanks.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:48 am

[font="Tahoma"]The temps were in the 20's this past weekend and my batteries were still going strong. I did read on the package that the Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries "Last up to 8x longer in digital cameras" and "Perform in extreme temperatures from -40°F to 140°F". So I am sure that is factoring into the long battery life as well.

900+ photos from Sunday to Sunday. (1 week)

I am still really loving this camera!!!

Here are some recent night photos...[/font]

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 am

ORIGINAL: shadow

Those are some good quality photo's. A few questions though. During the 2 months of use with those batteries, how many pictures did you get?
And you bought this new? Why did you need a software upgrade so soon?
I now have three D-40's, and am looking into getting another camera and am researching the different brands.

Shadow make sure you check out the reviews on Chasingame Website. They review a lot of cameras and give a lot of detail. If you've narrowed down your list of cameras go here and check out their review, you'll learn a lot from their review.

Just so you know you're doing good with those D-40's, I have two myself and for the money you can't find a much better camera. If I had one thing to fix it would be that they do something with the case so that they are easier to secure to a tree and prevent theft. Keep an eye out for camera sales after Christmas, that's usually when some of the best prices are found each year!

Return to Scouting Cameras