Camera Placement

bwhntr

Camera Placement

Postby bwhntr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:59 am

OK, this year I am going to get even more serious about using trail cameras to scout the area that I bow hunt. I presently have 2 digital cameras and an older Trail Master event timer that I am going to set out. My question to those of you out there that have done this on a regular basis is, How often should I check the cameras, and when should I try and move them around the area to check on the deer movement? I guess what I am asking is, How long should a camera have to stay at one tree in an area to help pattern their movements? Should I possibly leave one camera at the same location and move the other around the area? I'm not looking for feeding areas, but rather travel routes.

Goose

RE: Camera Placement

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 am

I recommend only checking them once and then moving them. Cameras can hurt you more than they help you if you are not careful. I use the same scent cautions I use during hunting and also spray down the camera with a scent killer.
I think a week or 2 in one spot is plenty. If they aren't there then they aren't there. Maybe check them spots again later in the year or season to see if they have altered their course at all.
Cameras are fun and can be a great tool but you have got to be careful otherwise they can work against you.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 am

Check out this thread...should answer your question...but the long and short of it is you want to leave it out about 2-4 weeks and stay out of that area as much as possible in the interim.  Personally I now leave mine out about 2-3 weeks before moving on to the next area.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=19969

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:35 am

That is good advise but if the deer doesn't walk by that spot in a week, do you want to hunt that spot? Or is there a better spot?
If you have your camera out for 3 weeks the deer could easily have altered their movements in that time with mast drop, fields being harvested ,and so on......
IMO if you plan on hunting that location you really need to know what the deer are doing now, not 2 weeks ago.
Just my 2 cents
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:50 pm

I usually leave my cameras out for about a week before checking them. If the deer are hitting that spot, I will leave it there or I will move it elsewhere. Having 4 cameras makes it a little easier as far as placing them in different locations. During the summer I place my cameras on trails or food sources, while during the rut I put them on scrapes or hot rutting areas. What kind of cameras do you have?

Kyle

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:54 pm

I normally leave mine out for 2 weeks.  I know from that if the deer are using the spot or not.  I also agree that summer is good for food plots or if where legal over a mineral site.  During the rut I like to place them over scrapes as well, but also funnels or rub lines.  They can be a great way to tell what bucks you have in the area.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:38 pm

What everyone else said pretty much sums it up.

A question I have is how far away is the land you hunt? If it is behind your house or 50+ miles away that can make a difference. I have always wondered about the smartscouter camera (even though expensive) and the other cameras that can send pictures so your computer. They are nice in the fact that you only have to go to your camera to change the batteries but they sure are pricey. Anyone ever used one?
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Iowabucks

Postby Iowabucks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 pm

When i first started with trailcameras i only waited a week or two before checking them. I have all mine set up on trails. No feeders. So i don't get a ton of pictures. I also have about 7 cameras, so in the last 4 years i have had them in about all the good spots i can find.

These days i leave them out for a month. I know they are in good spots, so i don't have to move them around all the time. It takes me 4 hours to check my "camline". 70 miles round trip. Needless to say i don't like to check them very often in the heat and humidity and bugs of the summertime. Once a month is also alot less intrusive on the deer.

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:58 am

I have a Leaf River, a Cuddeback Capture IR and an older model TrailMaster, that just measures events. I plan on getting another Cuddeback Capture IR. I am going to try and establish some patterns if I can, and hope that they hold through the Summer into the early October bow season. I am just trying to establish a plan on how, when and possibly where to move each one. How much area should I try and cover with each camera? I am about 25 miles away from my hunting area, so this is what I may do. Set the TrailMaster in one area, and just leave it for several months, take the 2 cameras that I have now and check them in a month, after a month is up, depending on if there are any pictures, I am going to adjust to the area. We have approximately 3200 acres of mostly 5 to 10 year old pines, and  some bottom hardwoods. I am trying to cover an area of about 640 acres right now. I have already done some post season scouting, and found one area in a pine thicket with a lot of crossing trails and rubs. Just trying to come up with a plan, and hopefully help others out there to use scouting cameras to pattern deer. Although, as long as I have been hunting them, they throw curves at me all the time.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:53 pm

I only live 2 miles from the farm that I hunt so I get antsy or bored sometimes and go check my cameras. This summer I hope to leave my camears out for at least a week and a half at a time.
Kyle

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras