Scout guard SG550 or Cuddeback Capture...

reeper0697

Scout guard SG550 or Cuddeback Capture...

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:25 am

I have been thinking about adding a new cam to the arsenal. I have 3 moultries but I am thinking going with either the Scout Guard SG 550 or a Cuddeback Capture.

I like the scout Guard because its compact and uses AA batteries. According to Chasingame the trigger time is 1 second. The down fall seems to be that the IR illumination does not shine out that far and is narrow.

I like the Cuddeback Capture because the trigger time according to Chasingame is 1/2 second and the flash seems to reach farther (I don't care if its IR or not) But the down fall I dont like is the fastest the Capture will take pictures is every 30 sceonds. If it had the multi-image where it took three pictures in a row like the Moultries and others I would probably have one of these already. Has anyone with this camera not got a good picture of a deer due to the fact it only takes one picture?

Has anyone used these 2 side by side? People on here seem to like the Capture but I haven't read anything about the Scout Guard in a while. What are your thoughts and experience with these cam if you have used either or both? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Matt
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

69Viking

RE: Scout guard SG550 or Cuddeback Capture...

Postby 69Viking » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:20 am

Even if I had the money to buy more expensive cameras I'd stick with the Moultries. At $89 regular price the Moultrie D40 takes great pictures with a 1 second trigger time, you can buy 2 or 3 of these for the price of one of those others. Just my $.02

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:45 am

reeper0697,
I have had the pleasure of using these two side by side and I may throw a wrench into your equation. I own the sg550 and I love it but you are correct and the illumination isn't the best past 30 yards. other than that i can't think of anything i don't like about it. It's small, fast, easy to use, AA batteries. ect. I love it!
Now the other guy on my lease USED a capture. I say that because he did have a run of issues where he got 3 bad ones in a row. (Cuddeback more than took care of him so please don't take this as me saying they don't support thier product.) But we had several instance where the Capture didn't get the deer or another one was following and missed that deer. With all the Cuddeback hype we were not impressed.
He really liked my camera but was afraid to buy online so after reading the reviews on Chasinggame.com he actually went to cabelas and bought one of the new Bushnell Trophy Cam's. Bushnell actually sources the camera from the same company so this is the exact same camera as the scoutgaurd except that it has a few upgrades (like more LED's, optional color viewing screen, inside mounted toggle switches). His motivation for this was that if he had the same problems that he had with his cuddeback he didn't have to deal with the manufacturer to get it replaced but could just go back to cabela's and have them exchange it. This little thing works like a charm!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:52 am

Chasinggame.com
ORIGINAL: 69Viking

Even if I had the money to buy more expensive cameras I'd stick with the Moultries. At $89 regular price the Moultrie D40 takes great pictures with a 1 second trigger time, you can buy 2 or 3 of these for the price of one of those others. Just my $.02

X2...I would add the only downfall is battery life and having to replace 6 D-Cells every 60 days or so..aside from that I own 3 of them and each has been reliable and takes decent pictures

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Chasinggame.com

X2...I would add the only downfall is battery life and having to replace 6 D-Cells every 60 days or so..aside from that I own 3 of them and each has been reliable and takes decent pictures

I guess that brings up another topic in general. I own 2 moultrie D40's. I have the older model that takes the 6 volt and the newer that uses the D-Cells. They are good cameras for the price but you mentioned trigger speed and the moulties simply do not offer that. you have to set them up in a place that they have ample time to "see" the animal and then take the picture. I use mine on heavy trails but I get a ton of empty photos or tails because the speed isn't there.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:46 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Chasinggame.com

I guess that brings up another topic in general. I own 2 moultrie D40's. I have the older model that takes the 6 volt and the newer that uses the D-Cells. They are good cameras for the price but you mentioned trigger speed and the moulties simply do not offer that. you have to set them up in a place that they have ample time to "see" the animal and then take the picture. I use mine on heavy trails but I get a ton of empty photos or tails because the speed isn't there.

Kribbz your absolutely right...and that's why placement is critical...looking down a trail and not crossing it.  I know I've had a lot of empty pics as a result of the slower trigger speed.  The portability of the scout guard and the new bushnell are compelling arguments as well...but right now I can't justify spending that kind of money on a cam and in order to cut down my scouting time I needed at least two..and three is optimal.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:26 am

Until I win the lottery, I'm sticking with my D-40s.  Very happy with them!
QDM!

grizz

Postby grizz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 pm

I have both,  3 cuddies and 2 scoutguards,, there both good and I think better than others out there.. the cuddie does have it's issues like batteries and sometimes not working but when they do the pix are awesome.. the scouts are also good great battery life and pixs  I did just send a scout back due to a broken on/off switch. They are going to send me a new one when they came in Sep 10th.. Bushnell has no good wy to lock it to the tree as the scout

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:54 am

I would go with either one. I have a Capture and love it! I also know a guy who owns 7 Scoutguards and swears by them. However, I would not recommend purchasing a D-40. I have one and do not care for it. Batteries do not last the 60 days and the picture quality is very poor. The trigger speed is not great either. So I would go with the Capture which has awesome trigger speed and takes great pics.
Kyle

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:43 am

I have had Cuddebacks for several years and for the most part have been very happy - especially with the customer service. This past spring I bought a SG550V after seeing the great reviews. The first round of pix was good although I was hoping for slightly better IR pictures (first time w/ a IR cam). The second time I went for the camera the remote would not work at all. A manufacturer rep told me to send the camera in for a replacement. That was in mid July. Several phone calls, Emails and promises later I still don't have a camera. The dealer has done what they can but their hands are tied. I looked into it and found that because of increased demand and factory problems (in China!) the supply is way behind. Now I have concerns about future service especially for cameras that are being rushed. My dealer has agreed to get me a SG550 in the meantime but I'm considering going back Cuddeback even though it will cost me in the end $50-$100.  Thoghts, ideas??

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras