Scout guard SG550 or Cuddeback Capture...

reeper0697

RE: Scout guard SG550 or Cuddeback Capture...

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for the input everyone! I was away this weekend so I was not able to respond sooner.

I am still debating on what to do, there are pros and cons to every one. Out of my 3 trail cams 2 of them are D40s. One of them takes grainy pictures and the other one is really on the down fall, lots of black pictures and the display is going, thats why I thought about investing in a little better camera.

They both seem like great cams and I will keep you guys updated on whatever one I decide to go with.

Thank you for all the feedback it is greatly appreciated!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 am

I have 3 Cuddebacks .They are great.My DC 200 ,35 mm that i bought in 2003 is still going strong with the exception of a few bear claw marks on it.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 am

P.S> I don't have any captures.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 am

I am leaning towards the Bushnell Trophy cam. I called Cabelas yesterday because they had the camo one on sale for $199 and then free shipping on orders over $150. They are on back order and wouldn't be in the warehouse for 2 weeks.

I am actually going to be calling back in a few minutes to a place here who said he could get them after he calls for prices. We will see how it turns out!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:22 am

I just got off the phone with a guy who owns one of the local shops. He can get me the Bushnell Trophy cam with a built in viewer for $194- $196 depending on shipping. I ordered one and it should be here on tuesday!

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 pm

I own one of the captures and my buddies cousin just bought on of the scout guards....so far they both have pro's and cons.  The capture is every thing advertised in relation to trigger speed and ease of use.  Multi pics in is not that much of an issue, it gets the job done very well.  Battery life which i had heard was bad is actually pretty good.  The only thing I don't like is the rinky dink strap system they come with.....i would rather have an eye bolt like my expert does that i can run a bicycle cable lock thru.  As to the scout it appears to be doing great.  The IR is not quite what it was cracked up to be but the video it takes is top notch.  I just didnt want to risk $ on one because we have never seen them down here until this year and I know what kind of quality cuddeback puts out.  The last time i strayed I got hung with a Leaf River 3IBR...which at the time was about the same as a cuddeback expert flash model....As game cameras go its a great boat anchor.  I do also have 2 of the moultrie cameras that were bought new and handed over to me this year by a pipeliner buddy with the instructions to e-mail him some good pics.  I don't much care for these camera's in that they are heavy,big&bulky, a touch on the complicated side if you get away from the default -auto settings....and 6 d cells vs 4 in a cudde' for the same # of pictures is not to great...the picture quality is decent but again not as good as even the capture model and certainly not the scoutguard.  In cameras you get what you payfor unless its a Leaf river.[:D]  JMO
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:12 pm

My dealer should have a replacement SG550 to me tomorrow and with some luck it'll be in the woods on Friday. HCO  has been less than impressive with their service but the dealer (Advanced Whitetail Hunting ) has done right by me. I thought I had a problem with my Capture so I brought it home with me and learned a good lesson from the service person. When in "Test" mode make sure you have the cover closed as the lens somehow adds to the range. This obviously also affected my test of walking by and waiting for the countdown to tell if it took a picture. Just a good example of Cuddeback's customer service helping with a quick fix. Hopefully the Capture will be back in the woods soon too.

grizz

Postby grizz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 pm

My dealer said that the scoutguards should be ready to ship out the 10th. The Bushnell is the same camera and the reason for the delay is Bushnell paid extra money to get thers out ahead of the scouts

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:34 pm

My dealer confirmed that Bushnell is the problem. The Bushnell's guts are the same as Scoutguard's just in a different package; needless to say when Bushnell said jump the factory said how high. Also is the 550 any better than the 530, what's the difference?

outdoorsfellar

Postby outdoorsfellar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:48 am

I've got 3 of the SG550s & love them. I use all in video mode, that way there's no blurred pics that you're wondering about. I've never heard of a " 530 "

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras