Best Scout Camera

usmcdave

Best Scout Camera

Postby usmcdave » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:34 am

Hello. My husband wants a scout camera for his birthday next week, and I have no idea where to start.
What are some good recommended cameras that are not too expensive (under $200).
What are some good things to look for when buying a camera.
Thanks.

gunther89

RE: Best Scout Camera

Postby gunther89 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 am

For under 200 bucks I would say get a wildview or a moultrie d40 which are around 80 I believe.  They have somewhat good trigger speed, ok battery life and take decent pictures.  I would go with the cuddeback capture which is I believe are 200.  They have the fastest trigger speed I have seen, have great battery life and the picture quality is wonderful.  The first picture is from a moultrie d40, the second is from a wildview extreme 4 and the last one is from a cuddeback capture.  I hope this helps.  

Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 am

The Cuddeback Capture is more expensive but I think it is a great camera. I have a moultrie i40 and Cuddeback capture.....when I put them both out I worry about the moultrie working properly, with the Cuddeback I have no worries.

If he has to worry about theft, I would look into the cheaper cameras, but if your on private land and don't have to worry about it, I would recommend the Cuddeback Capture.
Also, I wouldn't worry about getting an infrared, I would just get a flash camera.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 am

I have a Moltrie and have not had any issues yet.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:26 pm

I would say the capture or the moultrie.  I have a moultrie d-40 and I'm really happy with the camera itself.  The only issues I've had is with rechargeable batteries, but that has nothing to do with the camera. 

Best of luck!
QDM!

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:37 am

I didn't until after a year or so.

ORIGINAL: Swandog09

I have a Moltrie and have not had any issues yet.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:56 am

I have a Moultrie and a Cuddeback, but I would definetly go with the Cuddeback Capture. For another $100 or so, it is well worth it. I am not very happy with my Moultrie D-40 at all; the trigger speed is slow, the pictures are always grainy, and the battery life is not great. However, with the Capture I get crystal clear pics, excellent battery life, and awesome trigger speed.
Kyle

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:27 pm

ORIGINAL: usmcdave

Hello. My husband wants a scout camera for his birthday next week, and I have no idea where to start.
What are some good recommended cameras that are not too expensive (under $200).
What are some good things to look for when buying a camera.
Thanks.

[font="Tahoma"]Here is an awesome web site that should answer all your questions - http://www.chasingame.com

Click on the "Reviews" button at the top of the page.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:56 pm

I used a moultrie last season and it worked great. I got a wild game innovations "timberview s-2" on sale last month. I took it back already. I wanted something in-expesive to put out on a property where I'm not the only hunter. I didn't expect a whole lot, but I did expect the buttons to function properly and turn on & off. I got them in a twin pak. One had a hard time shifting to the menu display and the other would not shut off, and both would not keep proper time. The store clerk finally got the one to shut off by pulling the batteries. I exchanged it for a wildview extreme 5.0 . It works good so far-- I'm happy with it and the price tag. It runs on "C" batteries so they may not last long, but thats O.K. I expect that for the price I paid ($89). My moultrie M-40 was on sale also ($99) when I got it last year, they normally run $150-$175 (not the D-40). I would highly recomend either one.

BerkHunter

Postby BerkHunter » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 am

I have a Moultrie D40 and so does my hunting buddy, but he just got a cuddeback and he said there is no comparison, get a cuddeback.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras