how many cam's to have?

PrairieShadow

RE: how many cam's to have?

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:39 pm

I own 4 cams, usually have at least 2 out through the summer and fall months and then may drop down to none or one in the months of the deep winter for the simple fact that sometimes they become a real chore to get to with the deep snow on the ground.

I say the more the better.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:28 am

I currently have 2 for 110 acres but plan to buy a new one soon! Bass Pro starting Aug. 7th will have the Moultrie D40 with a 1 GB SD card included on sale for $69.99. I currently have one and for the price you can't find a better camera!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:53 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

I currently have 2 for 110 acres but plan to buy a new one soon! Bass Pro starting Aug. 7th will have the Moultrie D40 with a 1 GB SD card included on sale for $69.99. I currently have one and for the price you can't find a better camera!

Holy crap, thats a great price...I already have 2 D-40's and lookig for a 3rd for my other property so this may be the ticket...thansk for the heads up Viking!

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:24 pm

I currently have 2 trail cameras but I want to eventually get 5 more. I usually leave my cameras out for a week at the time. Having 7 would allow me to check one a day leaving each out for a week at the time. Checking trail cameras is by far my favorite activity next to harvesting a mature buck.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:02 am

I currently have 3 D40's on 350 acres that I bought from Cabelas for $100 a pop.  I would have bought @ Bass for the same price, but they were out of stock.  $69.99 is a great price, I may buy a couple of more @ that price.  A few questions:  (1) This summer, I am getting a lot of photos of trees, grasses, etc. with no critters.  I have the cams set @ high resolution and 3 photos per event.  It seems with the summer heat in upstate NY that every time something moves the cams trigger.  I been meaning to call Moultrie and see if it is the high temp or if I have other problems.  I tried using medium resolution and that seemed to help, but not happy with the quality.  It is not a big concern, since I can scan thou 600 photos or so very quickly, but obviously it eats up batteries faster.  Has anyone else had that problem and can I expect that the problem will go away when the weather gets a little cooler in SeptemberImage, (2) I buy my D size quality batteries (Duracells or Energizers) @ Walmart for about $10.50 an 8 pack.  I tried the cheapes, but found they are not worth the savings.  Anyway, has anyone got a good source quality batteries that is cheaper
Lastly, check out the attached four photos of a buck.   I think it is the same buck but not sure, what do you thinkImage I find these photos interesting from the stand point the amount of growth of the velvet antlers between photo #1 on 7/14 and the two photos of 7/19.  It appears that in the last photo of 7/29 that he has shed his velvet.  I am surprised that he has shed velvet this early.  I will have to check my photos from last year to see when most of the velvet was shed, I believe mid-August.  I have read that the timing for losing velvet and dropping sheds is based on when the buck was born, i.e. an early drop buck will shed velvet and drop sheds early and this cycle will remain with the buck his entire life.  I am also surprised that this buck seems to be a 4 pointer.  In the area I hunt in Upstate NY, it is not unusual that this size basket/antlers are carried by a 6 pointer with no brow tines.  In most other areas in NY and Maine I have hunted, with this size basket, the buck would be an 8 pointer.  I can only say, it must be in the DNA of the area bucks in Washington County.  Last question:  I would say that this buck is a high end yearling or most likely a 2-1/2 year old.  What do you thinkImageImage  Thanks, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:47 pm

One of my camera is an I40 and I have had the same problem getting pictures with no animals in them. I do believe the heat could play a factor in this especially if the camera faces in the direction that the sun rises or sets. Sometimes I think this is going on but then I notice that there is a bird that sets it off. They can be tough to see if you aren't looking for them. As for your next question I have not found a cheap battery that lasts as long as duracells or energizers so I can't help you out with this. Finally I believe you have 2 different bucks in the pictures you posted. The first 3 pictures appear to be the same buck but the last pictures looks as though the buck has a G3 on his left side. It is possible that this is the same buck but he would of had to do a lot of growing in 10 days. Due to the picture quality it is tough to tell whether or not he has shed his velvet. I believe you are right about his age somewhere between 1 - 2.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:34 pm

The D-40's if I'm not mistaken have IR sensors...so they don't detect motion, but rather heat.  I have the same problem, snf get a bunch of pictures of nothing.  Best I figured it was a squirrel or bird or something moving quickly through the area.  Bear in mind the system is essentially in a sleep mode and once activated takes a few seconds before it snaps a pic.  That's just enough time for a bird or squirrel or something fast moving through to be out view by the time it snaps a pic.  Case in point I've posted one picture of what appears to be a fawn and its mother running along a path I have my cam oriented.  The first shot shows the mother about 5 yrds in front of the cam chasing the fawn about 20 yrds further up.  If there was no delay i should have had at least one of just the fawn passing by the cam and then a second of the both of them.  Additionally what Hunt4ever said about orienting you cam is true...if its oriented towards the east or west the sun will trip the IR sensor and you will end up with a dozen pics at a certain time each day. Happens to me occasionally when I'm not mindful of how I orient my cams, but there are times you just can't avoid it in order to get the right shots.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for your response Haywood.  I hope you are right and it is two different bucks.  I am going up to check my cams tomorrow and hopefully will get some photos that will solve the mystery.  Thanks again, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm

DeanoZ, The D40'S have a flash and I believe the I40's have the infared.  But never the less, I think you are rate on with the East and West and the effects that the sun has on triggering the cams.  I try as much as possible to go North and South, but as you pointed out that doesn't always work.  Most of the empty photos are during the day with more on bright sunny days.  I will probably call Moultrie anyway to see what they have to say.  I am going to check my cams tomorrow and hopefully I can get some better photos of the buck and determine wherther or not I am looking at two different ones. Thanks for your inputs,  [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:28 am

hunt4ever, yes the D-40's do have a flash, but the sensor that detects an object and causes the camera to take a picture is an infrared sensor, not a motion sensor...its not movement that trips it...its the detection of a heat source/signature that does.  If you have your manual look on Page 6 at the top:  General operation 1) "Automatic AUTO mode records images using infrared detection."  Good luck capturing more shots of that buck!

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras