Wanted: Card reader/viewer advice

whiteoaks

Wanted: Card reader/viewer advice

Postby whiteoaks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:00 am

I have a new digital cam because the old Kodachrome finally pooped out.

So now I'm wondering the most practical/economical way to view cards in camp because I don't have a PC or a lap-top there.  I'm hoping whatever I buy can also double as the card reader to attach to my PC at home because that old dinosaur doesn't have an SD port. 

I've seen nifty 25-in-1 card readers for reasonable prices, but they don't have viewers.  I've also seen viewers for lots of $$ that I'm not sure will also work as the PC interface.

Am I hoping for the impossible? 

OHhunter

RE: Wanted: Card reader/viewer advice

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:08 am

Check this one out price is pretty reasonable

http://www.digital-trail-camera.com/product/MFH-VWR
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

whiteoaks

Postby whiteoaks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks Brad, I was hoping for a lot more reasonable than that though.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:28 am

You might try craigslist for an old used digital camera with a SD slot, I use a HP it's not good for anything other than reading my scouting camera SD cards. I just leave it in my Jeep so when I get back from checking my trail cam I can see what I got.  I actually snatched mine out of a box of junk my sister was getting ready throw out.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:48 am

both together might be a proiblem but were it me i would hit the pawn shops for an old digital cam that has a viewer and an sd slot....you should be able to get away with under 50 bucks and then hit walmart for a card reader for the pc at home again under 50 easily....or you could buy a cheap new digital cam at walmart for under 50 and use its viewer....either way under 100 should take care of you.  If you have power at the camp and now someone who works for a large company you may get them to put you in touch with the IT dept and you could get a pc from them and old style monitor that they planned on junking.  I got one out of our junk pile several years ago and have a full system at the camp now.  Its old but I wiped it and reinstalled xp and all we do with it is print pics and view pics...although i am trying to get google earth saved to a flash drive to put on over there.............

Another Idea for a cheap computer is a local independent grocerey store whenever they upgrade thier check out lanes.....thats what I used to sell and how i got mine.....whenever we went in to install new IBM systems we just threw everything away that was in the way....lots of Dells bit the dust.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:32 am

You should be able to view your pictures through your digital camera, keep the ones you want and delete those you don't.  Or just change cards when one gets full and you can upload photos to a PC later. 

I take my digital camera into the field when I hunt.  When I go by a game camera I pull the card and put a new one in, then take the SD card with me to my stand and when I get bored put it into my digital camera a view the pictures.  The camera even allows me to zoom in on photos that were taken when I'm previewing them.

Doing it that way would allow you to buy a cheap card reader, but still see your photos in camp without the added expense of a viewer or bringing your laptop with you.  If you get a reader, make sure your PC has a USB port.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 pm

whiteoaks, if you go on ebay and enter this item number 1403326512307. It is a card viewer that has a screen that measures 2.5 x 3.5 for around 50 dollars. I bought one about a year ago and have had no problems.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:22 pm

When I go check my trail cameras, I take my wife's Canon SureShot. It uses SD cards, so I use it as a card reader. And if I see anything I want to take a picture of, I point and shoot!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

bucktale

Postby bucktale » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 pm

I just bought some new wildlife cameras and also bought a new digital camera that use the same cards. Kind of lucked out. I was going to buy a new reader for the computer because I didn't have the right reader. Well my printer went bad on me so when I went to Best Buy to either get the printer fixed or buy a different one the sales person said it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. It was only $80.00 so I bought the printer. Well I lucked out again because the printer has slots for a lot of different cards. I didn't even realize it had that feature and had to buy it before I even bought any new cameras.
Dave

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:46 am

I take my Pentax camera along when I go to check the cameras . It will read the SD cards from the Stealth Cam but not the WildView Cam ........ Go figure !
Semper Fi !

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras