Moultrie Cameras

bigwisconsinbucks

Moultrie Cameras

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Does anyone have the Moultrie Gamewatcher 4.0 camera? I am looking to purchase a new camera and saw this one at Wal-Mart for 100 bucks. I have read some good reviews on it, but want to know what you guys think.
Kyle

kribbz

RE: Moultrie Cameras

Postby kribbz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:40 pm

i have two.  one is about 4 years old and the other one is about 1 year old.   the older one is powered by a 6 volt and during the summer it works great.  However once it gets below 50 degree's it doesn't work at all.  the newer one runs off of "D" cell batteries and works great.  I did buy a scoutguard 550 over the summer it it rocks!!!  i have done a side by side comparison to the moultrie and it missed about 30% of the deer that walked by.  If you plan on setting it up by a feeder, scrap, water hole, field, ect.  where you know they will stop for a second they will do a great job for you.

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:48 am

up here i would say they suck had 5 of them and like kribbz said get's cold they stop working and slow trigger speed i don't have one left after two years i would try a spy point for another 100 buck and there great love cold, build like tanks and IR to boot my two cents rob.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 am

If you haven't already checked out this site take a look at it.  http://www.chasingame.com/home.htm  They do reviews and show you the proof!  I bought the Moultrie D40 after reading their reviews and it has been an excellent camera for the $69 I spent on it when it went on sale last season.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:00 am

I used an Moultrie I40 this year for the first time of using a trail cam.  It took great pictures and was essential in me killing the buck that I did.  I bought 2 more of them for next year!  They're $199 at reedssports.com - free shipping 
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

kabrevcus

Postby kabrevcus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:08 am

I had that camera, and $100 is a very good price. The camera is fine, takes motion video, stills, etc... lots of options and easy to use. But....If you have bears near you make sure you buy a "bear box"....my last video was of the bear ripping mine off the tree and it broke! Interesting, but an expensive lesson since I paid close to double of what you are talking....good luck

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm sure there are a lot that do more but I've had no problems with mine.Played with the video and it worked but took small stills at night.Of coarse we don't have a big problem with cold. 

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:47 am

I just went to pull the cards and replace the batteries in 2 of my trail cams. The Moultrie Game Spy still had about 56% battery left in the old 6 volt , but the back of the camera was full of ants, so I pulled it. It's sitting down in the barn waiting for the ants to leave voluntarily. This is the 3rd time I've had ants shut down a trail camera. (I also had fire ants shut down my air conditioner compressor in Alabama, but that's another story)
Does anyone else ever have this kind of problem, and how to you combat it?
The Bushnell camera didn't have ants but that's probably because the batteries were dead AGAIN. This camera would make an excellent boat anchor if it weighed a few more pounds.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:38 pm

I had ants get in a Trail Cam . I brought it home in a plastic bag and placed it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket . I sprayed in some ant killer in it and put the lid on . I did this a couple times and it seemed to do the trick . The smell of the spray didn't seem to affect anything .
Semper Fi !

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:17 pm

I have the Moultrie D-40 which is a fairly decent trail camera for the price but it takes poor video pictures and it has a slow trigger speed.I traded in my new Cuddeback Capture IR which gave me all kinds of trouble and poor picture quality day and IR night pictures for a better Moultre I-60 trail camera. I really like the high quality of day pictures and the good IR night pictures,it also takes some great video/movie pictures which I will get more of in the next few months (July,Aug and Sept) hopefuly of the several Bucks in velvet on our Farm.Right now I'm using a 1-GB SD card but will get 2 new 4-GB cards for video/movie pictures because it will fill up more space faster than regular still pictures! 

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras