Is This A Fox?

shadow

Is This A Fox?

Postby shadow » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Just wondering does this picture look like a fox to you? I've seen many fox before but they always seemed to be smaller. It is walking off with an apple.

Osty

RE: Is This A Fox?

Postby Osty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:49 pm

That is a fox.  I've seen several in North Carolina.  Even had one with what I thought was a bird in it's mouth, something black, as it was trotting through the woods.  It came by, caught my movement, and dropped it.  I got down later and it was some kind of rubber horse shoe device.  I was hunting near a stable.

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:50 pm

And I had one that took a whole cob of corn.  I'm sure they will do what it takes to get a meal.  Looks like a nice gray fox.

Woody

Postby Woody » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Looks like he made from me to you in about 18 hours.[:D]
My guess would be gray fox as well.

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Just wondering does this picture look like a fox to you? I've seen many fox before but they always seemed to be smaller. It is walking off with an apple.

That's a gray fox. We have lots of them in Pennsylvania, but we don't often see them. They're a little more secretive than red foxes, and they're tree climbers. Some people describe them as 'cat-like.' They're dainty. Looks like this one is in great condition. It's neat that you caught him with an apple.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Its either Bigfoot or a fox... Im thinking its a fox tho.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

coach

Postby coach » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:25 am

Bigfoot's pet. !!
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:52 am

Definitely a gray fox.  Seems to be in excellent health by the looks of its' coat and on the large side for a gray as they are smaller than reds.  I see them occasionally in my neck of the woods but only ever at night.

Charlie Belle

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks Guys!
I never saw a gray, and it didn't look like a red fox so I had to ask...always get great responses.
To me, it looked like a cross between a fox and coyote with the color and looks of his coat.... or bigfoots pet.
I'm still hoping to capture bigfoot on camera though. I will keep trying.

wack

Postby wack » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:15 am

Cools pics. They do look bigger this time of year with the full winter coat. Are red fox's and gray fox's the same with just different colors? We've got a few around here and I swear we have a pair that one's red, the other is gray and the young ones are really neat looking with gray, black red and white. One has a gray and red body with a black stripe down his back, white socks red tail with a white tail tip, white under the throat with a little red and gray in the face. I saw him in early bow season when it still had it's summer coat. I could have shot it, but it was more fun to just watch it.

A few years ago we had one in our fenced in back yard. Boy are they fast. lol Made my German Shepard look like a clumsy fool, she was great at catching rabbits but a fox is in a whole different league. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras