Best Trail Cam for the Money??

shadow

Best Trail Cam for the Money??

Postby shadow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Well I am ready to buy another trail cam. I now have 2 Wildviews that work great during the days, and I had not had any problems taking pictures at night when they were relatively new. Since then both the IR Extreme unit and the STC-TGL1 units I have both have not been working when set up in the field using the flash, or IR at night. It all started in October. I thought maybe the colder weather, but day pics are good and batteries for me on both these cameras last a long time. I'll be calling and talking to their customer service about them soon to see what can be done.
Anyway, after reading the posts here and the reviews at  http://www.chasingame.com/home.htm  and with about 150.00 dollars to spend, I think I'll be going with one of the Moultries, maybe a D-40, M-40, or I-40. 
Seeing that reviews on that site as well as here have been mostly favorable, what are your thoughts on these, or maybe any other camera in that price range or lower. Has anyone changed their opinions from their previous posts?
Or maybe found anything else out about theses cameras that you would care to share? Anything new would be helpfull and appreciated in order to make a desicion on a good problem free(for the most part) trail camera.

Goose

RE: Best Trail Cam for the Money??

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:59 pm

I have the I40 and have given it a good review.
How ever my next camera will be the cuddeback capture. Reason being is that the night pics are 10x's better and clearer with a flash.
The I40 takes decent pics at night but most are blurry and its hard to make out the rack.Battery life is amazing. I had it out from July to this past weekend and only changed the batteries once.
My buddy has moultris flash digital camera in the $100ish range and has had some problems with it. Batteries don't last and it doesn't work to well when it gets cold.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

coach

Postby coach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Hey Shadow.....

I have 3 of them....not expensive....works amazing....and you can attach a solar panel to it.
My batteries has been in my camera since April of 2008, and I finally changed them in October or November.  I just bought another from Cabelas'
The price for the camera and a dvd....under 150.00.   I have pics from Turkeys, coyote, moose and deer.  Over 1000 of deer alone.  Night time....no problem...flash is Great.

I bought my dad the cheapest Wildview you can find last Christmas.  The flash is not working half the time.  So I called the number inside the case....1-800.....and they told me to ship it to Texas which cost me 13.50$ , and they will send me a new one.  No receipt...nothing.

Here is the proof of my purchased a few days ago.
------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recent order. For your convenience, the current status of your order is listed below.
Products Ordered

1 of 62-1245 Whitetail Obsession 6 DVD
Shipped-01/05/09

1 of 41-7898 GAME SPY 4.0MP DGTL GAME CAM (Moultrie)
Shipped-01/05/09
Total
Merchandise = $106.87
Fee = $3.50
Postage = $17.95
Tax = $13.76
ORDER TOTAL = $142.08
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:04 pm

I personally have never used the M-40 or I-40. I do have 2 D-40's and for the price of them they seem to be good. The only other cam I have to compare them to is the other Moultrie I have (I cant think of what model it is right now but it was $100 at walmart a while back and it uses the 6volt lantern battery) But for around $100 (I got one on sale at cabelas for $69) they seem to be great. The one thing I recommend is to invest in some GOOD rechargable batteries and 2 sd cards so you can swap them out and leave your cam out 24/7. Let us know what you go with!!!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Shadow- I own some I-40's and love them. The battery life is incredible. I got 11 months on 1 set on one of them. I just picked up another last week in fact. Another camera really coming on strong is the Scoutguard. http://www.fifieldseednfeed.com/scouting_camera.html I may just have to try one out. I guess the trigger speed is about 1 second. Here's a picture on an I-40. It's been reduced, so it isn't as nice as the original. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/bergcrane2/MDGC0031.jpg

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Thats a neat picture!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

coach

Postby coach » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm

The moultrie I have......you do not buy rechargeable batteries.  You put regular....Duracell D batteries....and the solar panel charger.

Once you connect the solar panel to your camera......the rechargeable batteries are in the solar panel.
Once plug in to the camera.....the solar panel is the only thing running the camera.  Once the solar panel batteries dies...then you Duracell batteries kicks in. 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:10 pm

What model is that coach? That sounds very cool. 

coach

Postby coach » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 am

Go to Cabela's.....and type ....GAME SPY 4.0MP DGTL GAME CAM (Moultrie)

Like I said....its 100 $ for the camera....but it was 70$ for the solar pannel.
But I've used it from april to December.  How many batteries have I saved.
Only changed the batteries once. Flash is great....time frame is good....you can also have 10 second video.   Which I've never tried.

I will show you guys a pics.........for the price....clear pictures...night and day

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:58 am

I had 3 older versions of that same camra and only one still works. The resolution was much worse than your though. 

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras