Best Trail Cam for the Money??

kribbz

RE: Best Trail Cam for the Money??

Postby kribbz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:16 am

I know you said you want to spend $150 or less but trust me for $60 more go with a scoutgaurd sg550.  you will not regret it!  i have had both and i can honestly say for the money the scoutgard beats the moultries in every category.  it takes extremely clear photo's at night with IR and better pictures during the day.  not to mention the entire camera fits in the palm of your hand so it doesn't stick out to someone walking through the woods.  lastly the controls for the camera are similar to an Ipod. you have to plug it into the camera to make your changes so even if someone did take it they couldn't really do anything with your camera.   I can't say enough about it.  best single purchase i've ever made!!  I had a buddy who bought the I60 and wishes he would have bought the one i bought.  let me know if you want any pics or videos.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:35 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz

I know you said you want to spend $150 or less but trust me for $60 more go with a scoutgaurd sg550.  you will not regret it!  i have had both and i can honestly say for the money the scoutgard beats the moultries in every category.

Except one. The Moultrie IR's have more infrared diodes and they seem brighter and have a wider coverage at night. I A/B'ed them and that's about the only thing the Moultrie had on the ScoutGuard.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:01 pm

ok i will concede that.  smaller size camera not as much surface area for the diodes. 

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:22 pm

I know that not everyone has a Cabela's nearby, but if you go there now, go back to the bargain cave and you will find loads of game cameras that people got for christmas and brought back. They have several brands and models at some pretty good prices. I dropped in the Kansas City store a few days ago and there must have been about 30 cameras in a bin. Some were unopened and some had been opened, but with the price it would be hard to go wrong.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I have 4 of the wild view cameras and they are a constant pain, slow triggers,alot of night time white out shots, and the batteries don't hold up very well.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:21 am

Well thanks for all the responses. I have my 2 wildviews back out to see what they'll do this time around with clean cards, new batteries, and after taking my time to setup and angle them over 2 well used areas. However I'll still be getting another. Still am undecided and now looking into the scoutguard, nice and small, good batery life, 45 or so foot range, and decent nightime photos however at a closer range because of the lack of more ir sensors.  So it will be either the moultrie or scoutguard, so far.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:02 am

All right, I got myself a D-40. Cabela's has them for 75.00 right now. I haven't yet set it up but I did retrieve an Sd card from one of my my wildview's. Excellent daytime pictures, lousy night-time pictures it will be going back.
I had 47 photo's in 2-days. Got alot of night-time pictures of deer but couldn't lighten the pics up to tell if they where bucks. Here's 2 of does.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 am

Shadow- Here is a link to an Image Resizer from Microsoft. I usually resize it to 800x600, sometimes smaller. Just make sure you're resizing a copy, not the original. Once you shrink it, you can't get the resolution back.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Down ... rtoys.mspx

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks Honeyhole for the tip to the Microsoft resizing program. I had been able to only resize pictures on my camera before and with this wildview trail cam I couldn't .. Now I can!  thanks again and here's 2 pictures both from this a.m. I believe. 
And I hope the cheapo Moultrie I bought works out well, I'll probably set it this weekend and get some pictures late next week.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 am

kribbz where did you say you could pick up the scoutguard?  Thats a sweet looking cam and i saw some of the pics you took with it...i liek the fact that its compact..and at that price I'd say pretty good value for the $$$$...thanks for the tip.  $75 for the D-40 at Cabelas huh?  Can't go wrogn with that either..may have to check that one out too, I already have the D-40 and like it..its just bulky for my taste.

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras