Best Trail Cam for the Money??

kribbz

RE: Best Trail Cam for the Money??

Postby kribbz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:43 am

http://www.wildviewweb.com/store.php?mfg=Scoutgaurd

I bought mine from these guys.  I had it within a week of placing my order. If memory serves me correct, i ordered it on a sunday night and had it thursday afternoon.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm

This guy is a little cheaper. I know quite a few guys that have bought from him too.
http://fifieldseednfeed.com/scouting_camera.html

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Yes, a D-40 at Cabela's for 75.00. They had sent a coupon book to me. They also had the same coupon books piled on a table upon entering the store (at least they do in E.Hartford, Ct).
I'm not concerned about the size or that its not camo'd. I figured for the price why not?

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Honeyhole i think there are two camo models, one with a screen for 220 and the other one without for 209. 

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Shadow,

Let us know how you like the D-40. Like I said I have two of them and for the price they are great cams. Could there be improvement? of course, but for a $75 camera you cant beat it
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Dan7manusa

Postby Dan7manusa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 am

Moultrie - it will take pics nicely when deer stay in front of the camera - I had problems with trigger speed several times - actually pass one of my cameras on the way in to another stand location and sometimes it doesn't trigger till I am half past the camera - WALKING (both moltries have done this).  I also had pictures of a buck and doe walking by and it only capture the back half of the deer so I have no idea what kind of buck it was but its body was huge which is really eating me up.  From my experiences - when I go to buy another camera I will spend the extra money and get something with a faster trigger speed.  I think that the resolution in todays cameras are all good enough for what we need. 

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:12 am

I set the D-40 up on Sat., and took down a wildview,  had another 50 pictures from that one over 2-days. None of the night pictures produced any good photo's.  I will be calling Wildview Moday to hopefully have these exchanged or repaired. I found the batteries in both my Wildviews to hold out EXTREMELY well in the very cold weather we have had. I do not have any complaints about either Wildview when it comes to battery life or daytime pictures.
I will hopefully have the Moultries pictures on Wed.

As far as slow trigger speed or the camera "waking up",  I usually don't set my camera's up along a trail where a deer can just walk by, I will set it up overlooking an area where deer are known to be going or facing down a trail to get the deer walking toward the camera or away from it, that way there are no partial pictures of a deer.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 am

reeper0697, Went out and switched sd cards from the new Moultrie D-40 today. Exactaly 100 pictures in 4 days. This camera is exactaly what I needed, Great day time AND nightime photos. Could it have more options? Temperature, moon phase etc.. yes it could but it then wouldn't be a D-40, and it wouldn't be 75.00 either. So far so good, and the batteries even seem to be holding up well in temps ranging from 0 to 30 degrees. 80% power left. I'm happy with this camera and if all goes well maybe another will be in my future unless these wildviews get repaired. I posted 2 night pictures, from wildview and moultrie. I

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 pm

Shadow,

Its good to hear that you are happy with the camera. For the price they are great. I have 2 D-40's and one actually takes better night pictures than the other (yours takes good ones). But for the price you can't beat them. Glad you got one and are happy with it. Keep us updated if you get any big boys on there!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

WNYDeerHunter

Postby WNYDeerHunter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:17 am

I bought my first digital in January 2008 - a Moultrie I-40IR.  I am still on the same set of 6 D-cells that I first put in, and I have had the camera out almost non-stop since I bought it.  This includes some cold winter weather.  I have to have taken over 1,500 photos and video with this camera and it still has over 40% battery life left.  It cost me about $240 at the time, but now you can pick one up for under $200 at most places.  Great daytime photos, and nighttime are black and whites.  I got a few really nice bucks last Fall that I didn't know were even around, and ended up shooting one on opener of gun season.  Great camera for the price and I would buy another in a flash.  I highly recommend reading the reviews on Cabela's before you buy anything.

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras