What's THIS?

Everyday Hunter

What's THIS?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:13 am

I have a trail camera (Moultrie D-40) set up in my back yard watching a couple of feeders I made. I haven't gotten any photos of deer yet (well, yes, one deer's butt), but I have lots of photos of cottontails and bluejays. Plus this photo -- what it is?

Here's one at full size, but cropped:

This came through the yard at noon last week on a day I wasn't home. It's built like a canine. It's the right size for a coyote. It's the right color for a coyote. It holds its tail like a coyote. There are no dogs in the neighborhood that I know of that look like this. (I live in a rural development of about 20 houses, and I'm right in the middle.) Unfortunately, the bush tends to obscure the front end of the animal.

Last night my wife woke up at about 3:30 AM and heard coyotes just to the north, in the direction this camera is looking. I've heard them before, too, on all sides of us. It's a little hard to believe that one would waltz through at noon, but you never know. Unfortunately the photo before this one and after this one didn't pick up anything.

What is it?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

passin through

RE: What's THIS?

Postby passin through » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Definitely a snow monkey....very rare critter...don't think that one's quite mature yet though[:D]
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Hmmmmmmm, almost looks like a dog (domesticated canine)!  LOL
QDM!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:52 am

id have to go with the jersey devil on this one. head of a horse, neck, tail, and torso of a dragon, feet of a cow, wings of a bat, seems pretty clear from the picture here.

i would say coyote is a good bet, or wolf. it definitely looks like that type of animal. this time of year, noon isnt that unusual of a time to see something like that. its the warmest part of the day, so lots of other animals move that time of day too, like the critters this animal likes to eat. but it could also easily be a dog. a stray, or one that someone dumped off, who knows. like you said though, with that bush in the way it's really hard to tell. it doesnt matter where you put a trail camera. an animal ALWAYS finds a way to be behind something when the camera goes off!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:59 am

Ah, the Jersey Devil. I haven't heard anything about that for a long time.

The photo is definitely not conclusive. I think I'll leave the camera up for a couple of months, and hope for a better photo.

Last spring at the extreme left of the first photo I found what I'm pretty sure was a coyote scat. These are pretty easy to tell apart from a domestic dog. Sooner or later, I should get a better photo (or a photo of Bigfoot.) [:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:04 am

Bigfoots pet dog got off the leash again.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:26 am

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

id have to go with the jersey devil on this one. head of a horse, neck, tail, and torso of a dragon, feet of a cow, wings of a bat, seems pretty clear from the picture here.

Never heard of one of them thangs!  So 2 questions: I know how to cook all that other stuff but how in the world do you cook a dragon?  Do you boil him like a crawfish?  Is he edible on the halfshell?  I bet you could put him in a pit like a pig or a goat and slow cook him and he'd be ok.....Everything is good with rice so I know what to serve with him.   So whats the season on these devils?  How about the limit?[:D][:D]
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:44 am

It's a Hefalump.
Haven't seen one of those since I took the kids to the Hundred Acre Woods.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I would guess either a yote or husky.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

Never heard of one of them thangs!  So 2 questions: I know how to cook all that other stuff but how in the world do you cook a dragon?  Do you boil him like a crawfish?  Is he edible on the halfshell?  I bet you could put him in a pit like a pig or a goat and slow cook him and he'd be ok.....Everything is good with rice so I know what to serve with him.   So whats the season on these devils?  How about the limit?[:D][:D]

i imagine if you harvested a jersey devil it would have to be on the down low. most dangerous flesh eating beasts are protected by wildlife agencies. ive heard they taste good smoked or deep fried. i like mine on a taco shell with sour cream and pepper jack cheese. i think it might be the meat Subway uses on their new steak and cheese subs.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras