RE: What's THIS?

Postby OHhunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Hmmm.....  Image

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:40 pm

steve, if you're so inclined, you could try baiting for canine animals and see what you get. you could hang bait from a tree, get the smell out there a little better and then you wouldnt just be feeding every scavenger that comes along. i didnt bait, but last spring i put cameras out this time of year and got some good pictures of all kinds of cool animals. i got some fox, a badger, mink, and then all kinds of turkeys when the snow melted. i tried to bait in a bobcat, but had no luck. i didnt use meat, just shiny things hanging in the trees. i read in my trappers book thats a good method for baiting bobcats.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter
Hmmm.....  Image

If I remember right, that photo was from northeastern PA about 3 years ago. Lots of people thought that critter beside the buck was a coyote on steroids. It weighed a little more than 100 pounds. The hunter took it to a taxidermist, and the taxidermist informed him that someone stole the critters cajones. Turns out, it was one of those wolf hybrids, and had been neutered before being released. So, it had been a captive animal, but had been fending for itself in the wild for a year or so.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:55 pm

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

steve, if you're so inclined, you could try baiting for canine animals and see what you get. you could hang bait from a tree, get the smell out there a little better and then you wouldnt just be feeding every scavenger that comes along. i didnt bait, but last spring i put cameras out this time of year and got some good pictures of all kinds of cool animals. i got some fox, a badger, mink, and then all kinds of turkeys when the snow melted. i tried to bait in a bobcat, but had no luck. i didnt use meat, just shiny things hanging in the trees. i read in my trappers book thats a good method for baiting bobcats.

Thanks. I'll give that some thought.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

coach

Postby coach » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Everyday Hunter..........I'm in the same boat as you....I have 2 pictures....the first...seems to be
normal...the second....I'm not sure.
My wife says my battery was dying in the camera which made the  deer looked a little unclear.
So I started an argument....she went to bed....and .....Here I am.

Maybe you guys can help me too.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm going to bed too. Nighty-night, Tinyfoot.

Steve

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:32 pm

I see that Goose beat me to it but the first thing that popped into my head was a Husky.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 am

Could be a husky, but no one around here has one. If you look closely at the head of the animal through the bush, the outline (assuming the head is straight) looks too bulky to be a 'yote. A coyote has a sharp nose and high, pointed ears. But if you look at the back end, the tail appears to go straight back, a universal trait among coyotes. A husky and almost any other dog has an upward curl to the tail -- although that could be hidden by the tree. Also, there appears to be a black spot on the animals rump, just ahead of the tail. Most eastern coyotes have that.

What I'm sure of is that there is no way to confirm whether that's a coyote or not. It could be argued either way, but any conclusion would be based on some assumptions. I am sure of one thing, however, and almost sure of another. If I keep the camera there and possibly add bait to hold the animal, I'll get a picture of a coyote sooner or later because they're all around us and surely pass thorough our yard once in a while. And I'm almost sure that I found a coyote dropping in my yard last spring.

If I ever get a picture, I'll post it. Until then, [/topic finished for me].

Steve

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras