Flash vs Infrared No Flash

Erich

Flash vs Infrared No Flash

Postby Erich » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:25 am

Looking for any thoughts on flash vs no flash scouting cameras.   Is the no flash worth it?
EH

mhouck06

RE: Flash vs Infrared No Flash

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:13 am

i have two wildview game cameras with a flash. i have over 1000 pictures from the two in just the past year.. i leave them up year round... and have not had one deer spooked. I mean if you can find a good deal on one with no flash, by all means get it. but i wouldnt pay any extra for one without a flash.

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:17 am

I have a couple of Multrie cameras that are flash cameras. I set the delay on them for 1 picture every 5 minutes. I have had mature bucks in at night and stand there for multiple picutres and have deer running in daytime pictures. One of the cameras has a 3 second delay and the other has a 1 second delay. For a deer to be moving off in any picture I get it had to already be moving before the flash ever went off. Between those factors I dont think the flash itself spooks deer. It would be nice to try an infrared but I just cant afford one. Besdies I have been very pleased with the quality and quanity of pictures I get with the flash cameras.  

roadkilldk

Postby roadkilldk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:38 am

I've got a cuddeback with a flash, and a Moultrie no flash I haven't noticed to much of a difference.  I get multiple pics of the same deer on each, however night pictures with the flash are way better then then you'll get with any IR camera!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:13 pm

flash vs. no-flash,
I think i read somewhere that mature bucks after being photographed once by a flash camera will not come back to that area. I do not know if this is true. Has anyone photographed mature bucks with a flash camera consistently or just that once?

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm

I did get a mature buck on camera in the same area with a flash camera.  Though it was the same night about 2 hours apart and it was during the rut so that might have had something to do with it but its a good question.

RNC

Postby RNC » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:46 pm

I have gotten the same mature buck in the same area on multiple nights. In a two week hunt we got a ten point 8 different times between two different cameras. Problem was he always came between 00:00 hours at 04:00.  Those big guys no get big by being dumb thats for sure.

Erich

Postby Erich » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Spend the extra money on a no flash camera if you look at most pics of deer with a flash camera they are spooked by the flash some my stick around for another pic but your mature bucks will not. you may get a great pic a a mature buck but that is probably the only pic you will get of him...a flash in the dark in the woods is not a natural thing for deer to see the big bucks will avoid that area of the camera. besides why take the chance of spooking a monster from the area you want to hunt. there are some great no flash cameras on the market right now for under 200 dollars like the new Remington ghost and the Moultrie I-40..

Good luck this fall and shoot straight.

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:34 pm

I have a Moultrie I-40 infared. For under 200 bucks i can't complain at all. I'd say it's one of the best your gonna get for that amount of money. But hey, if you got the money to spend, might as well splurge. 

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras