Flash vs Infrared No Flash

gard73

RE: Flash vs Infrared No Flash

Postby gard73 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:39 pm

From the pictures I've seen flash or no flash it seems all of the deer are looking at where the camera is. Maybe it's the noise but even the no flash cameras have to light up the area. Anyone use the new Reconyx covert IR cameras?

ukbballfan

Postby ukbballfan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:15 pm

No flash with night ime video capabilities is worth the extra $!!!

Sea Monkey

Postby Sea Monkey » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:26 pm

I know the flash spooks deer.  I was sitting in my stand before daylight one morning.  I buck walked up to a nearby scrape where I had my camera.  When the flash went off, he jumped in the air and then hurried off.

I bought a Moultrie I-40 last year and have been very pleased with it.  The battery life is unbelievable.  Even with the IR camera, I've noticed the deer are always looking when the shot is taken.  It may be noise or it may be the IR flash, I don't know.  Either way, it's better than the flash camera.  I've turned off the flash on my non-IR cameras since seeing how they react.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:57 pm

I use 2 Moultrie cheap flashers and have not had any problems.  Multi-shots have deer looking at cam but not running off, rather feeding.  Only does because of location, but is ok.  I hunt river between 2 large woods and during rut bucks do come!  Sorry cant help with mature buck pics.  26 days and counting...

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:05 pm

I would go with the no flash. the flash spooks some and not others, Why? i cannot say for sure id be willing to bet on the flash. I to have noticed some deer seem to be looking at even the no flash cam but none has really seemed spooked, more curios than anything.

No flash is the way to go.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm

I have 2 Moultrie M-40 flash cameras.  I don't think the flash spooks the deer at all.  I have plenty of photos of lots of different deer (and quite a few big bucks) and I keep getting them on my camera, again and again.

I think the advantages for the no flash are - longer battery life since they use LEDs and better security since other people (would be thieves) can't see them at night.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:23 am

Maybe the deer in your area are spooked by the flash because of being spot lighted or shoot at during the night..but where i am in the back woods of pa i have gotten the same deer standing in fornt of my steath cam several times on different nights..and he just stands there relaxed as heck eating away...sometimes for a couple of minutes the logest i had im standing there is about 10- minutes..that was in one spot...comes back daytime night time...when ever he gets there..he don't car about no flash.. and he neve really looks at the camera either..check out the pic of him on the photo corner...PABUCK..

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 am

I've always thought tat one of the advantages to a no-flash is that it doesn't spook two legged animals. If you get my drift

Squirrelhawker

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:22 am

That is the advantage of the no-flash...my buddy had a cuddieback with a flash and he must have caught someone doing something...he came back to it an it was smashed to pieces..they took the memory card out and left the camera!? I guess he caught some illegal activity...

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:38 am

As for the deer , I wonder if they can tell the difference between a camera flash and lightening ???

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras