Moultrie Question

bigwisconsinbucks

Moultrie Question

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm

I just purchased a Moultrie D-40 and as you probably know it doesn't come with a USB cable. I would like to upload the pics onto my computer so I need to get one. Where has everyone got theirs? Did you order it straight from the Moultrie site or can you buy it elsewhere?
Kyle

reeper0697

RE: Moultrie Question

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:53 pm

If I were you I wouldnt bother with one. Get 2 SD cards and a reader, that way you can always leave your cam in the woods and just swap out the cards. Then just put the SD card in the reader, put it in the USB slot and there ya go.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Yup, that's what I do...Get those SD cards and swap one with the other when you check your cam once a week.  This way you limit the amount of time you have your cam in the woods.  Plus, those cards really aren't that expensive anymore!

Good luck!
QDM!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 am

Ditto..and a bigger reason to use the SD cards is because the internal Memory is only 16MB on the D-40..thats like 20 High Res pics...you'd be chking your camera every couple days...another hint would be to bring a digital camera that accepts SD cards with you...you can review the pics right there and then decide where to position your camera next!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 am

The SD card options is the the best way to go BUT if you have pictures on your camera's internal memory already the best place to buy a usb cable is Walmart.  I believe it accepts the standard usb cable used for printers.  Shouldn't cost too much. 

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:15 am

[font=tahoma]I agree with everything everyone else has said.  We use 2 SD cards for each camera we have and just switch them out & leave the camera in the woods.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Here is a link for cheap SD cards that I use 2GB - $5.99 ea.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0250133[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]If your computer doesn't have a slot for SD cards, here is a cheap reader - $9.99[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0283012[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks for all the replys guys. I already have the SD card and I have checked my previous cameras with my digital camera also. I will have to check into a reader. Can you pick one of those up at Wal-mart? The price of the reader posted by FFKevin and the USB cable is about the same.
Kyle

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 am

[font=tahoma]I just checked wally world's web site.  They have one even cheaper - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10038332[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 am

I have 3 Moutrie D-40'S & use 512MB cards.  I read somewhere that 2 GB cards are slower for some reason.  Is this true?
Another question:  Moultrie indicates that the operating range is above 32 degrees.  I have my cameras out now, but have not checked them.  I live in upstate NY where it has been been below 20 for a week.  Any experience out there on how the camera operates at these temps?
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:21 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4ever

I have 3 Moutrie D-40'S & use 512MB cards.  I read somewhere that 2 GB cards are slower for some reason.  Is this true?
Another question:  Moultrie indicates that the operating range is above 32 degrees.  I have my cameras out now, but have not checked them.  I live in upstate NY where it has been been below 20 for a week.  Any experience out there on how the camera operates at these temps?

The 2Gb cards are flash memory, no moving parts to it and from a technological standpoint the camera does not operate any faster or slower when writing the digital image to the storage device.

As for the temps, mine operates and has taken pictures just fine in Temps hovering just above 0 degrees, but i have heard your battery life decreases rapidly in much colder temps...as I understand it, its like car batteries using a lot more of their juice on cold winter starts.  I know during that recent cold snap my cam batteries died a lot quicker than normal.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras