Late Season Buck

kribbz

Late Season Buck

Postby kribbz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 am

Check this guy out.  I have had a camera out all year and never seen this guy before.  He showed up 3 days in a row around the same time and then the area was flooded out and he has not been back since.  what a shame!!!

DeanoZ

RE: Late Season Buck

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 am

Wow, he certainly has some character!  A mature buck won't roam too far especially this late in the season, I'm betting he will be back, if not soon then for sure next year.  In reading the book Whitail Advantage the author has commented on how mature bucks core ranges are typically 20 to 30 square acres...I'd say he's still close by

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 pm

thats encouraging! The funny thing is this camera is less than 50 yards from my inlaws house.  I estimate this guy to be around 4.5 years old.  I know you can't see the body but would be interested in what you guys think this guys age is?

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm

I love those crab claws in the front, he's already a great deer...next year he'll be outstanding.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Im not a sure thing on guessing ages of deer by any means lol, but if i had to guess by the little of his body we have to see i would say 3.5 tops since his neck really int that big, but his rack is out past his ears some so he's def older than 2.5. Hope that helps lol. Great buck by the way hopefully he sticks around until next year for ya!!!

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:35 am

i agree.  this is a small patch of timber that runs between two fields and has a creek. I never would have guessed the kind of deer that run through here.  there is another non typical that i have on video of a deer that isn't very wide but super tall and trashy.  he is probably only 2.5 but cool cool rack.  Is there anyway to post video on here? 

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:47 am

HAHA.  here it is, check this guy out.  I created a youtube account for you guys. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5-CkifLOY

if it doesn't come up that way i saved it under the name 2.5 year old buck username kribbz09

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:03 am

this is a small patch of timber that runs between two fields and has a creek. I never would have guessed the kind of deer that run through here.

And you just described a classic funnel..think about it, a small strip of timber that connects two feeding/bedding sources with water running through it to boot...that heffer has everything he needs and does not have to go far to get it...and thats how mature bucks operate, the less they have to travel and can do it in cover the longer they live...I'm guessing somewhere near-by is some thick cover and I'll be thats wher he calls home 50% of the time.  Good luck next year, he'll be great!  Thats another nice one in the video who will come into hsi own next year as well!

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am

check this out.  I was looking through some older trail camera pictures last night and i fould this guy in velvet.  the picture was right after another 8 pointer walked by and stopped in a similar fashion so i must have assumed it was another picture of the same deer. pretty cool. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:01 pm

So is that the same area as the first pic you showed?

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras