Trail Camera Tip - Save $

VAHunter

Trail Camera Tip - Save $

Postby VAHunter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:53 am

Here's a helpful tip I discovered several months ago when checking my game cameras....

I have several game cameras posted up on our family farm, and checking them on a regular basis became tedious due to the fact I do not have a digital picture viewer or mobile card reader.  In other words, I'm lazy...hate to gather cards, take them home to view, and then make make the trip back to the spot in the field to put them back.  So one day it occurred to me that these SD cards in game cameras are the same as in my own personal cannon digital camera.  The last time I checked my game cameras I just carried along my cannon, and simply pulled the sd card out of the game camera and put it into my cannon camera and viewed the pictures on the lcd screen on the back of the camera....works the same way as the digital picture viewers.  Might save everyone a little time and money.

Has anyone else been able to do this?  I felt like a genius when I figured this out, but hey...we all know that was just a feeling.

dmcianfa

RE: Trail Camera Tip - Save $

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:34 am

I've done this to save money too!!! If you want you can put the card in your camera, view the pictures.  Save the ones you want to the internal memory of the camera, which holds maybe 24-50 or so, and print those out when you get around to it.  This way you can delete all of the ones on the card (once you save the ones you want to internal memory) and have full capacity on the card when you stick it back into the trailcamera.  The only bad part about all this is that it is difficult to make out intricate details in the small viewscreen on my digital camera, such as small points that could make the difference between a 7 and 8 pointer.  But, nonetheless a sound method that saves us all some money.  Way to make this available to all hunters.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:38 am

I do this too...but not to save a trip. I do it because I can't wait to see the pictures...lol. 1mb cards are cheap these days ($8) so I don't have to save or delete images from the trail cam onto my digital point and shoot. I just switch cards out and move on.
-Eric

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:09 am

Me too.

Sometimes I'll swap cards on the way to the stand and use my camera to view them while I sit.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:22 pm

I do the exact same thing as JPH....I carry my Kodak Digital Camera along with me and pull the SD card in the trail camera and put a new one in the trail camera and then view the pictures while I'm sitting up in my tree stand waiting for the same possible Deer to come by...and I can Zoom it in on the digital camera to see how many points are on the Buck in the picture and even the exact time of day it passed through.

Be careful buying certain SD cards with higher Gigabytes of memory...some trail camera's will only use up the a certain amount.My Moultrie Camera will only use up to a 1 GB of a memory card and I have found that if you take pictures with a regular digital camera then put the SD card in the trail camera which has a lower amount of megapixels it can mess up the trail camera.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:24 am

I have been doing that for a couple years now . I bought some 1 GB cards for less than $10 and bought 4 256MB cards on EBAY for $12 (shipping included in the price) . I look at the pics while I am there and if not satisfied , move the camera .

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:51 am

This week, Odd Lots has Kingston 1 GB SD memory cards on sale @ $6.00 each.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:00 pm

I have the Kingston 1 gb Sd memory cards, they work like there supposed to but the problem I'm having is how to delete the pictures from them after i download them to my computer.
On the computer it gives me the option to erase the pictures from the card but after it goes through the process of downloading and then deleting the pictures, they don't get deleted.
I have a digital camera that uses the XD card so I can't use the camera but when I download from the camera doing everything the same, it delets them and works fine.
Any suggestions? I am using a Canon MP600 copier, it has the SD card slot for this purpose.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:46 pm

I pulled the card from my camera this evening. I had fun looking at the card in my stand.

133 sunrise/sunset shots and 2 pics of a 130 class, 10 pointer working a scrape! [8|]

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 pm

How did you get sunrise and sunset shots from 1 camera?

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras