rechargeable batteries???

buckhunter21

rechargeable batteries???

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:34 am

I was curious if any of you use rechargeable batteries in your trail cams, and what kind of experience you've had with them.  I have used them in the last few months just so I don't have to buy new batteries which can get expensive.  I use a Moultrie D-40 camera, and have not so good experience with the rechargeables so far.  I just got in an hour ago or so from checking my camera and the batteries were dead but I only had three pictures on my memory card.  Hmmmm. [:@]

I am thinking of buying that Stealth Cam 12 Volt portable if this keeps up!

PrairieShadow

RE: rechargeable batteries???

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:48 pm

I use AA rechargeables in all my cams. All of my cams are homemade though.

I have one set of 4 alkaline batteries for the PIR sensor- these last all year long.

I use 2 AA rechargeables for the cam. I get about 800-1000pics out of these batteries. Usually about a 3 week period. Cold weather also affects the life.

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Yea, I may be using a voltage that is too low.  I currently use D batteries that are 2500 mAh, and I believe I just read somwhere that I should be using 4500 minimum.  So, I'll give those a try and see how they work!  Thanks for the info.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 am

Yeah the AA im using are between 2650 and 2900. This is jsut the capacity of the battery. Voltage will not change between any D batteries.

Get the most you can out of them!!

BigWhit

Postby BigWhit » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:36 am

I have the moultrie cameras which work fine. I use the rechargeable batteries but the KEY  thing here is to use the solar power chargers which keep the batteries up all the time. If you have a regular camera (with no external pins +/-) to attach  the alligator clips from the solar panel you just need to epoxy or attach two pins from the inside to the outside of the cameras case, usually in the back wall. Your battery attachs to the pins on the inside and your solar power  clips attach to the outside to feed the current. Even on slightly overcast days the solar unit will charge...don't believe me touch the two alligator clips to your toungue at the same time. This solar power is only way to go, otherwise, even if it is a rechargeable they dont last long. With the solar  power..MONTHS. The solar panels are right around $20-25. You can find them on line, ebay, moultrie, har-lee on ebay.   With keeping constantly charged  the cold weather does NOT affect the batteries as much or at all as my expierences have shown. Reg 6 volt batteries  forget about it...won't last long at all. Good Luck..Big Whit

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:44 pm

I have the older Moultrie Digital Camera and it uses the square 6-volt batteries in it,I ended up buying 2 new batteries for it so after a week or so when I check the camera I change out the battery for a fresh recharged one.I probably need to get the solar charger because mine is set up with the external post that BigWhit mentioned!

coach

Postby coach » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:08 pm

I also have a Moultrie camera.  Not the expensive one either.  I think I paid 100.00$
There is an input plug to enter a solar panel extension.  There is a battery inside the solar panel. In april 2008, I put ...(is it 6 or 8) DD batteries.  I'm not even sure anymore but its the same batteries now. (oct 2008).  The solar panel, at a hunting store cost me, 70$.  I'm sure you can get better deals on ebay..ect.  I've taken approx. 3000 pics during the whole spring, summer and fall.  As long as your solar panel get 5-6 hours of sun per day....your good to go.  If you use it in the forest where shade is most of the time....your battery from the solar panel will die...and that's when you DD batteries from the camera kicks in.  So your battery from the camera is actually a back up to the solar panel.

Trust me ....it works great.

Bulls eye

Postby Bulls eye » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:30 pm

I have the 12 volt stealth camera battery that I use with my wildview camera. It is definitly worth the money. You will recoup your money in less battery cost in a couple months

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

I use AA rechargeables in all my cams. All of my cams are homemade though.

I have one set of 4 alkaline batteries for the PIR sensor- these last all year long.

I use 2 AA rechargeables for the cam. I get about 800-1000pics out of these batteries. Usually about a 3 week period. Cold weather also affects the life.

PrarieShadow,

I am interested in your homemade cams, can you describe the setup, where you get the equipment, what it's made out of and how much you've spent to build them.  Pics would be awesome too!  Very curious as this would be something to work on in the garage during those lonely winter months after hunting season. hmmm
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:07 am

I havent been around the site much lately but this is where i got all the info from many years back. The first one i made used a automatic door bell and a 35mm camera all  stuffed in a.30cal ammo can. they still work today.

My new digital ones are great. The battery life alone is worth it.
Feel free to PM me with any q's you may have.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?showforum=50

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras