Age this one

11.point

Age this one

Postby 11.point » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:21 am

Normaly I'm pretty good at ageing deer but this one is a tweaner between a 2.5 and 3.5 year old.  I would probably guess 3.5 because he does have a little bit of a belly but he could be a really good two year old as well.  

JPH

RE: Age this one

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:47 am

I agree that he is a tough one. Body looks to be 3.5 but the neck appears to be 2.5.

I do not know what antler development is like in your area, but around here, he would be considered to be typical of a 3.5 in tine length but typical of a 2.5 in mass.

Chances are, I'd call him a 3.5 and take the shot. I might end up being off by a year, but he is no yearling. When I win the lottery and buy up a few thousand acres, I'll be a little more patient.[;)]

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Id take em! His legs look a little long????? really nice 2.5  ?????? Id let the taxidermist age em for ya !Image  125-130" ???
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm

You must be the guy that Dan Schmidt was talking about on The Rubline. lol. I don't think I could have passed him up.    He could very possibly be a great 2.5 year old, but I have to go with JPH and go with a 3.5. What state do  you hunt in?
Kyle

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:58 pm

He's a 2.5 yr old... with REALLY good potential. I'd never tell you not to take an animal, but if you do decide to wait say... 2 more years...You'll be looking at a 150 class or better... if he's still around... good deer, though! Have fun whatever you decide.

11.point

Postby 11.point » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:11 am

Yes I was the one Dano mentioned.  I'm blessed to own a good piece of land where we can get some age on them.  For my area he could be either, but some of the other pictures of 3's that I have this year the antler development looks to be about 10" more than last year.  I think it's due to the wet spring and good nutrition that they had during the antler growing season.

This guy will have a free pass on my place except for one hunter, that being my 13 year old daughter.  If she see's him he will find a home on the wall in my bacement. 

Vambo-I think this guy will jump considerable next year pushing the 60's and probably hit BC as a four year old.  Granted that's under perfect conditions but we plant a ton of foodplots for them so they've been comming through winter in good shape.  If I'm lucky he will make it a couple more years!

Good luck to everyone, best time is yet to come.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks for the added details. Sounds like you've got a great situation. But it also sounds like you've worked hard and done your homework. I guess the harder we work, the luckier we get.

Did you post on the old forum under the same screen name? If so, welcome back.

Tell your daughter we're pulling for her.

11.point

Postby 11.point » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 am

JPH, yes I'm the same guy under 11.point.  I had some issues with the new web site I couldn't get it to take my password because it said my email address was taken. 

We have the issue corrected now!

Like you said it's a lot of work, but in reality the work is entertainment on my end.  I love planting foodplots and hanging stands playing with cameras.  I always feel sorry for the guys that don't think about hunting till two months before the season.  Their missing so much enjoyment. 

Good luck

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:15 am

How old do you think this deer is?  To me his body looks fairly built but his nose is short and his "antlers" are only an inch or so long.  I do not have great genetics where the picture was taken but I am not sure what to think of this one.  Any thoughts?

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:00 pm

ORIGINAL: ReflexHunter

How old do you think this deer is?  To me his body looks fairly built but his nose is short and his "antlers" are only an inch or so long.  I do not have great genetics where the picture was taken but I am not sure what to think of this one.  Any thoughts?

Can you embed the pictures? I can only view the upper right corner of them.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras