Pig of an 8 pointer

Iowabucks

Pig of an 8 pointer

Postby Iowabucks » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Haven't had much in the way of big buck pics yet this year so i thought i would at least show off this big fat 8 pointer running around here. I think i will give him a pass to see what he would look like next year.

IR video----http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/iowabucks/?action=view¤t=nice8atmineral.flv

Here's what he looks like on one of my P41 homebrews.

JPH

RE: Pig of an 8 pointer

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:20 am

On letting him pass.Are you on a huge property, do you have like minded neighbors, or are you just really patient and optimistic?

Iowabucks

Postby Iowabucks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 am

It's about a 200 acre property. I'm the only one who bowhunts it. The only close bowhunters feel the same way. But during the gun seasons the landowner has alot of family hunt his and surrounding properties. I can't speak for what they do, but i would assume they don't feel the same way about shooting mature bucks. I'm trying to be patient. I arrowed a 184" buck last year, and got many pics of what should be a 200" buck this year. Found one shed, so he should still be around although he has managed to evade my cameras this year so far. The friend who bowhunts a surrounding property tells me about alot of huge velvet bucks running around over there. Maybe i'll get lucky and have one chase a doe over here during the rut.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 am

Good luck! Sounds like you could get yourself in the history books if you're not careful.

BTW, did you age the jaw on your 184"?

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 am

Iowabucks, you are sure are one patient hunter.  I am not sure how I would feel as I have never seen a 200" on one of my cameras yet.

I feel that I would probably shoot at the first one of these two that I got a good shot at.

Keep us posted during the season.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:15 am

Awesome buck! I got to say I would whack that one as soon as it came into range.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Iowabucks

Postby Iowabucks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

Iowabucks, you are sure are one patient hunter.

I feel that I would probably shoot at the first one of these two that I got a good shot.

Well, i say that now. It might be a little harder to hold back if he was 20 yards out broadside. lol.

JPH--- I did more than just inspect the jaw. I sent the 2 front teeth in to have aged. We all guessed 5 1/2 on last years deer. Results came back and said it was a 6 1/2 year old deer. Here he is.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Wow beautiful buck both of them Good for you on being able to hold off on the deer on you trail camera.. I dont think I could hold off on him but I have not shot a 184 inch buck either. I might be able to hold off if I had but I wont know until that happens...

Good luck and let us all see the pics if you shoot the 200 incher so we can all pick our jaws up again I know mine is still on the table while looking at the 184 buck..

Good luck

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Wow! That is just sick!

Where did you send the teeth? The jawbone on my last bow buck has been estimated between 5.5-7.5. I'd like to know for certain.

Iowabucks

Postby Iowabucks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Here is the website for the deer aging. http://www.deerage.com/
It only cost $20 for the basic service. Takes up to 120 days for results. You can add extras or pay more for faster service too. The 120 days was no big deal for me. I would definately use them again.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras