fasteddie

Are deer afraid of camera flash ???

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:21 am

I think not...........

They still come back for more !

schlupis

RE: Are deer afraid of camera flash ???

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 am

Just remember the deer in that picture just lost its spots you could pobably wave at that deer from your tree stand and it wouldnt run off either.

flash vs noflash is a personal preference.. I dont like the flash because I believe it does in some ways spook deer or atleat alert them to somthing foreign in the area, with a flash the deer always seem to be looking at the camera, I dont want to take that chance. Noflash the deer appear more natural and are never looking at the camera....

Like I said personal preference I dont want to take the chance of alerting a monster buck that there is somthing not normal in the area he is calling home.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:54 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Just remember the deer in that picture just lost its spots you could pobably wave at that deer from your tree stand and it wouldnt run off either.

flash vs noflash is a personal preference.. I dont like the flash because I believe it does in some ways spook deer or atleat alert them to somthing foreign in the area, with a flash the deer always seem to be looking at the camera, I dont want to take that chance. Noflash the deer appear more natural and are never looking at the camera....

Like I said personal preference I dont want to take the chance of alerting a monster buck that there is somthing not normal in the area he is calling home.

I agree, Some deer dont respond to flash at all and some give you the white flag never to be seen again. I have noticed the flash scaring deer more once the gun season has opened.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 am

Not all the deer are spotted fawns that I had gotten on the camera . I was just showing how some would have the flash go off and come up to the camera . I had the same thing with a couple of bucks on my sister in law's property last year . If they are comfortable in the area , they will return .

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am

I read an article written by cuddeback I think. They tried to find this answer out and they said that like the others said here that it is the deers personality that will decide. They also noticed that the deer that did spook would not vacate the county they just altered their route a little.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:12 pm

ive had a few look startled from it but ive gotten they're pics again. deer are usually scared of they're own shadow any way, some are jumpier than others. ive heard the theory that its not much different than a flash of lightning. while ive gotten lots of night pics of deer that seemed to care less i wont use my flash cams in season, dont want to take a chance. wish i could afford a new ir cam.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

coach

Postby coach » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:07 pm

I don't really think they are afraid of the flash.  I've started my salt lick in april....and I have approx. 15 deer coming in on a regular basis. Its nice to see a small spike in May grow to become a 4 point buck.  And a what seem like a 6 pointer...just to become a nice 10 point.  I have to admit that the first few times....they didn't seem to appreciate the flash....but now....they pose for about 20 minutes each night.  Its a good thing i'm good for over 1000 pics on my digital.  I would send you pics...but not sure how.  I have 2 different 10 pointer...no monster...but nice bucks.  I actually have pics of 2 bucks at the same salt lick for over 30 minutes.  I take 2 pictures, every 5 minutes.  If you leave it there.....they become use to it.   But this is only my experience.  Cheers.    Steph (Ontario)

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 pm

I doubt that they think of the flash as anything more than lightening and I bet they see a lot of that !

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:54 pm

howhill1 ir cameras are not all that expensive some are but I saw the Remington ghost in walmart the other day for 135 dollars that camera has flash or ir... hope that helps also I have seen a lot of quality ir cameras on ebay for cheap some still in the box.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:58 am

Just wanted to share a couple pics of some mature deer that didn't seem to care about the flash

I continued to get pictures of these bucks throughout the season with out the flash spooking them,  but they
definately noticed it, when I would change memory cards I would have to wipe the muddy tongue marks off of my lense.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras