ants in my trail cam

b phat

ants in my trail cam

Postby b phat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:24 pm

Went out this afternoon to check my trail cam and I bet I had hundreds of ants in my cam. Has any body had this problem before and how can I not have this problem again HELP I had 780 pic of ants.[:@]

bowtech21

RE: ants in my trail cam

Postby bowtech21 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Not Good! Can't say that i ever had the ant problem before. However, i went in and moved my camera a week ago(before i realized all the bucks i got on it)[:@]  and discovered that my camera was becoming a caterpillar nest. They were in every hole possible. My camera has a tap hole in the back that a screw can go into incase you want to tilt the camera down at an angle. I didn't know it till i already had the screw half way in the hole and i heard the crunching. It was pretty nasty. freakin things crawled way down in there and made a nest. Anyway, i didn't get any pictures of them thankfully. I really don't have any good advice for ya man. Maybe just move your cam to a different tree close by and hope that its not ant infested? 

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:09 am

noticing you r from il also. it seems we had a real ant invasion this year. while i havent had any in my cams ive had to spray around the hous several times. you might sticking one of those ant trap things to the back thats the only thing i can think of that might not be odiforous. im pretty sure though that just moving the cam should do the trick.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:18 am

Sprinkle SELVEN dust......around the base of the tree...and ya...tent catapillers are a PNA..... 

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 am

I had that happen with a WildView STC-TLG1 camera a couple weeks ago that I had placed on a Wild Cherry Tree . I popped the card out and placed the camera on the ground . I carried it back to the truck and placed the camera in a plastic WalMart bag and tied the top shut .
I put the bag in the bed of the truck . When I got home , I ripped the bag open and placed it in a plastic bucket , sprayed wasp / hornet spray int the bucket , put the camera on the bag and snapped the lid on the bucket . About 3 - 4 hours later , I repeated the spray process .
The next day I placed the camera back in  the woods on a different tree . As I was turning it on , I noticed a bug in the lens and another in the flash . They were trapped in there . I didn't see anything in there when I returned a couple days later .
Not sure what they were . They weren't ants and they were tiny . A bit bigger that a fruit fly .

Konk

Postby Konk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 am

I read on another forum of a guy with ant problems taping pieces of No Pest Strips inside of his camera. He hasn't had a problem since. Worth a try, not sure where you could buy those though.

Konk 
Member;
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Sticks N' Limbs Camo Prostaff
Carson-Optics Prostaff
www.bowhuntingstore.com

roadkilldk

Postby roadkilldk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:46 am

I guess I should have looked down the list before I posted, I see another person is having the same problem! 

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:09 am

I read a solution to your problem on http://www.chasingame.com/

Click on "Hints & Tips" and scroll down until you see "Ants in your camera?"

I hope this helps...

Good luck - Kevin

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:58 pm

FFKEVIN
ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

I read a solution to your problem on http://www.chasingame.com/
Click on "Hints & Tips" and scroll down until you see "Ants in your camera?"
 I hope this helps...
Good luck - Kevin

Thanks for the site info . A lot of good information on there ! [:)]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:35 am

No problem.  I found that site really helpful as well.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras