found deer head

b phat

found deer head

Postby b phat » Wed May 21, 2008 5:03 pm

My boy and I went ice fishing back in january. I found a 18 point deer head that scored 208 or more inches what would you do with it sell it or put it on the wall

DeerCamp

RE: found deer head

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 21, 2008 5:34 pm

I would put it right on the wall..thats somthing to be proud of, even if you found that monster!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu May 22, 2008 3:44 am

just out of curiosity who would ya sell it too?who buys antlers?is it even legal?not stirring the pot just wondering
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu May 22, 2008 8:44 am

Post a picture, thats probably to nice of a mount not to be able to show others.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 am

Wow!  First of all, what a great discovery!....and a great question.

I suppose if I could legally sell it for some decent money, I might.  Then invest it for college education for the boy.

Please post a picture for us!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

b phat

Postby b phat » Thu May 22, 2008 3:30 pm

will post picture as soon as i get it back from taxidermist

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Fri May 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I would go for the sale, I am sure you can sell it without any problems from the local DNR..
You can also call them just to make sure..
Lasty I have heard of places like cabelas buying such a fine rack just so they can add it to their collection.

I would then take the cash and put it towards your kids college!!
Very important these days.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat May 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Was the Deer Head in good enough shape to do a head/shoulder mount or do you have to have a European Mount out of it?

Personally I would find it very hard to sell a pair of racks that was that big and that good of a score.In some States you have to get a permit from the local Conservation Dept. to keep a Deer head and have it mounted,selling it could require documentation so a person could verify where and how they aquired the rack.Each State is different on how they deal with a situation of a Deer that died of natural causes or was hit by a vehicle or if it was a shed antler.There was an interesting article in a recent D & DH magazine about this same subject!

b phat

Postby b phat » Tue May 27, 2008 5:00 pm

yes the head was in good shape and i am geting it mounted to put on the wall .I did get a hard tag from game warden.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat May 31, 2008 8:31 am

I see Your located in Illinois....whats a "Hard Tag",I've never heard of that here in Missouri?

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras