Making a trail camera

shadow

Making a trail camera

Postby shadow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:59 pm

Has anyone ever attempted to make their own trail camera. Just wondering if it would work using an inexpensive digital camera and a home sensor?  I am not looking for anything fancy and since I won't be hunting after dark I don't even need the flash to work.
Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

trapperDave

RE: Making a trail camera

Postby trapperDave » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:11 am

Go here http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?&showforum=50 and join. they have build along and how-to's on makin your own game cams.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:55 am

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

brentru

Postby brentru » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:42 pm

You can also find some good tutorials on the forums of www.archerytalk.com.

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:47 am

The sony p41 takes the clearest trail camera pictures I have seen yet. But they are hard to come by, not many new ones aroound just used ones on ebay. I was looking into the newer cybershot cameras for the snapshotsniper boards.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm

The guy that runs another Hunting Site I frequent does a lot of trail camera building "Tutorials" on regular trail cameras and the newer style digital DVD camera with the IR for taking night vision movies.He list step by step instructions on how to build them and where to obtain the parts.

www.shomeoutdoors.com

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:18 pm

ORIGINAL: scotman

The sony p41 takes the clearest trail camera pictures I have seen yet. But they are hard to come by, not many new ones aroound just used ones on ebay. I was looking into the newer cybershot cameras for the snapshotsniper boards.

Boy your right on.
I have seen some taken by the p41 and amazed at the clarity and depth.

Ebay is the ticket
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Wow. There is so much info out there on this, thanks for all who set up links. I'll be looking into this further, if it gets to complicated for me there's always Cabela's.

silbowhunter

Postby silbowhunter » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 am

Check out www.hagshouse.com &
 www.realdealhuntingchat.invisionzone.com to learn how to build home brew trail camera's.

Here are a few I have built with the help from the above two sites as well as a third site that no longer sells home brew parts.

Inside

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Very Nice!!

I did end up buying an inexpensive wildview camera, it does what I need it to do for now, and already got some great deer pictures.
I am still researching parts to make my own and will. Thanks for the pictures and info! You all most likely gave many others plenty of info to now make their own.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras