do you think cameras spook deer?

chris

do you think cameras spook deer?

Postby chris » Sun May 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Three years ago i used a scouting flash camera, i got some awesome pictures of some awesome bucks,but only seen one while hunting.Since then i have'nt used it because i feared it moved the deer out of the area.The new digital no flash has my attention but still causious.Lets hear your take on it.

[/align]

mhouck06

RE: do you think cameras spook deer?

Postby mhouck06 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:16 am

ive used to cameras with flashes and i have not seen any difference in the deer.

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Fri May 16, 2008 4:04 am

I was in a treestand last fall. pre-dawn. about 20yds from a fresh scrape I put a cam on a couple days earlier. Had a buck come in, got his pic taken 3 times, and never so much as flinched when the cam went off. Didnt bother him one bit.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri May 16, 2008 9:22 am

[font=tahoma]I agree.  I have thousands of trail cam photos, and I still keep seeing the same deer.  I don't think cameras have any effect on deer movement, unless you check it way too often and disturb the area with your being there too much and/or leaving your scent.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I feel the only advantage to infrared cameras, is that they can't be seen at night by people who might want to steal them.  [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Other than that, I feel if you are good about your scent control and don't check them too often, that they have no effect on deer.[/font]

chris

Postby chris » Fri May 16, 2008 10:22 am

thanks on the reply's fellow hunters,I will be adding a new tool to my arsonal.

[/align]

roadkilldk

Postby roadkilldk » Fri May 16, 2008 11:03 am

I'm not convinced either way yet, I've had a cuddeback model (with flash) out for an entire year now with hundreds of pics of the same doe and certian bucks over and over again.  However I also caught two 8 points one evening on camera (got 3 pics of them) and never caught them on camera again.  I think it depends on the particular deer and the area they live.  I recently received a infared (moultrie I40) model for my b-day so I might be able to get a better idea on how they react in the future.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun May 18, 2008 10:53 am

i dont believe they do, every deer i have on my camera i have seen while hunting.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Sun May 18, 2008 10:21 pm

I am currently using 3 wildview cams that stay out in the woods for 4 months at a time (SOLAR), without bothering with the scare factor of your scent, which FFKevin says is true.

It's not the guns going off that bothers the deer but your scent when you walk into their back yard so to speak.

Also not so much the flash that upsets them, but the High freg of the cam before and during each picture that is being taken that they all hear.

Lastly All deer have different travel routes which changes during each of the seasons, I have found that the breeding and late winter travel routes are the same in Michigan, unless they get whacked by bullet or car there is a good chance that they will be back the next year depending on the mast crop or other food sources...

Return to Scouting Cameras