Trail Cams along fields

baacke13

Trail Cams along fields

Postby baacke13 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I have my bushnell trophy cam set to medium sensitivity facing north east along my brassica plot that is directly next to a hay field. I am getting alot of pictures of shadows moving in and out along the tree line. I have noticed that if i put my sensitivity to low i no longer have this problem but i feel like i am not getting the same quality pictures of deer. Is this a common problem with all cameras and field situations?

motorbreaker

Re: Trail Cams along fields

Postby motorbreaker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:11 am

This can sometimes happen in the dusk and dawn times when the camera hasent switched to flash mode.
You will get pictures that look dark.
This often happens when the deer is in the shadows and the sun may be shineing behind the deer.
The camera thinks its brighter out and does not flash.

I run my cams in medium mode.
Jake

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:39 am

I too get this issue and boy did it suck when I was running film cams back in the day.
As previously mentioned, it's all about heat and motion. This time of year when the temps rise and cool so much mornings and nights, the shadows are cool and the sunlight is warm so edges of shadows turn into triggers. Any dew on the lens of the cam can create such issues as well. There's not a whole lot you can do about it other than turning the sensitivity down.

I don't mind the random triggers as it sometimes catches the deer that are further out in the field and never would have triggered the cam. Might tell you the deer are entering or leaving from other spots vs near your cam.

ChasePhase

Postby ChasePhase » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 am

Add to that wind creating motion out in front of the camera and temprature/thermals triggering the sensor. Birds flying past it could be too.
http://NYHuntClub.com
or Facebook us

Return to Scouting Cameras