Cast iron steaks

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
TFin04

Cast iron steaks

Postby TFin04 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 am

This is pretty basic and can be done with any type of meat that is good for steaks.

Cast iron pan
1" thick steaks
Peanut oil
Fresh garlic
Chopped onion
Brown sugar
Breading (plain or your choice of spiced, I like Italian)
Your choice of steak seasoning, spcies, etc. I like Montreal's Garlic and Onion, or even Creaole seasoning

Mix breading and brown sugar together (you don't need much, just enough to dust the meat you have)

Lay steaks out and massage with a smal amount of peanut oil. Sprinkle your choice of seasoning on each side, pat into each side.

Sprinkle mix of brown sugar and breading on top of your seasoning. Just dust the meat, don't cover it. This only provides a bit of crunchy crust on top.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

In cast iron pan, lightly cover the bottom with peanut oil, raise to medium-high heat. When oil is warm, add onions and sautee until desired doneness. I like them carmelized and slightly crispy. Remove onions and set aside.

Bring pan (and remaining oil) to high heat. Sear steaks in pan for 1.5 minutes each side. Once they are in the pan, don't move them around! This is to create a good crust on the outside and seal in the juices.

Once both sides are seared, place entire cast iron pan into preheated oven, and finish the steaks. 2 min per side will typically cook the meat to medium, depending on the thickness of the cut and type of meat. I like mine medium. Test with thermometer if you wish.

Remove from oven, set steaks aside to rest for a few minutes. Don't cut them! The juices are running back into the meat and you'll lose all that flavor if you start chopping them up.

While the steaks are resting, add onions back into pan, and add your chopped garlic. Sautee 1-2 min. Adding the garlic at the end allows you to get the most flavor out of it.

Slice steak thin, and spoon the remaining oil/onion/garlic mix on top.

Enjoy. :)

Return to Recipes