Feathers vs. Vanes

Goose

RE: feathers vs. vanes

Postby Goose » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Shot feathers for 14 years then last year I switched to vanes. I got a jig and do them myself. I tried the nap quick spins in 2 inch and 3.14's and the 2 inch blazers. Went with the blazers because they are more durable and fly just as good if not better. The reason I switched was because feathers are noisy if you rub them against something and don't fair well in the rain. Vanes are a little heavier and not as forgiving but I am glad I switched and will stick with the blazers.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 pm

I shoot 2" blazers myself with a helical twist and find them very accurate and durable !!! Happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 pm

I have shot feathers but I prefer vanes ............
Semper Fi !

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:24 pm

i have shot both. i have shot 4 inch vanes, 2 inch blazer vanes, and 4 inch feathers. feathers have a lot of flight advantages over vanes, but for hunting and ease of use, you cant beat vanes. for target shooting, i would use feathers. they stabilize the arrow just a little more, adn that tiny bit more can be the difference between a good shot and a great shot target shooting. but for hunting, vanes stand up better to the elements and rigors of being hauled around in the truck and through the woods. plus, the accuracy difference really is nearly impossible to notice. i now use 2 inch blazer vanes, and they work great. fixed blade, mechanicals, field tips, they work great for everything. i like the 2 inch vanes over the 4 inch because they are stiffer and tougher. 4 inch vanes are a little softer and warp after a lot of shooting, but the 2 inch vanes dont do that. at least i have not had that problem, i guess i can't speak for the whole world.
if youre having trouble hitting your vanes and ripping them, shoot at different spots. i never shoot groups anymore, i shoot each arrow at a different spot. shooting groups just gets you wrecked arrows and vanes. sure, tight groups look cool, but how often do you shoot groups into a deer? i treat each shot like its the only shot, and shoot at a new spot on every shot. helps me focus on keeping every shot as good as possible without worrying about wrecking the other arrows.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:20 pm

I carry both......if the weather is wet I knock the vanes but for a bit longer shot I knock the feathers and yeppers they can be loud when brushed against something....light spray of hair spray helps with wet weather and feathers....

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Depends on what your terminal tackle is:

Vanes are more versatile, easier to control at longer ranges, FAR more durable
Feathers lay down on the release and allow better clearance on traditional bows, more control, they also act like a parachute at longer ranges slowing the arrow faster than vanes causing significant drop.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:45 am

2" blazers for me. I've always used a vane of some sort. Just what i started with and will continue to use them as i believe the materialsthey are made with have come a long way in recent years making the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:27 am

i use veins
but feathers are quieter and faster becasue they are lighter
but they dont hold up in the rain as well

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:41 am

I've also gone to the 2" vanes and am very happy w/ them.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:16 am

I use vanes, like em so far, thought about trying out feathers just to see what their like, i still might try em out in the off season, see what i like best, but for now its the 2" blazer vanes.

Next

Return to Arrows