head on bow-shot

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
Ar_ladyhunter

Re: head on bow-shot

Postby Ar_ladyhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:09 pm

I normally will pass up a head on shot with crossbow. 2010 was an exception. I was still hunting on the way to the area I had planned on hunting. Before I made it to the spot, I heard movement in the brush about 20 yards from the trail. Before I could get in position for a shot, a nice buck came down a trail and hit the main trail I was on about 20 yards in front of me. He bolted back the way he came and I figured he was gone for good. I slowly got up and he was standing just a few yards from where I first saw him, but facing away from me. There was no clear shot at this point so I crouched down and used a buck grunt. This brought him back to the main trail and he snorted and jumped back in the brush. Still no shot. I made sure that everything was ready, checked safety and made sure red dot was on. I grunted again and the buck turned and walked down beside me. When he stopped, there was a branch covering his vitals. I was patient. He took one more step and turned towards me. I knew that he would bolt without giving me a good broadside shot. I shot and when I did, he jumped and was gone. I knew the shot was good, and my confidence in that shot was strong. Three feet from where he was standing I found a spot of blood, a couple more feet and I found a very good blood trail. He ran into a ravine about 80 yards and piled up. He is the second buck that I killed this way with a crossbow.
Some are fast to condemn that shot, but if you know that you can make it, then it is your call. Oh, the arrow was still in the deer. It missed his spine by about a quarter inch.
Tree hugging is okay, as long as you are climbing up to your tree stand

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:16 pm

I have no serious reservations about this shot with a crossbow. I would take it, if that was all I had and the angle would miss the guts. I know the shot is lethal, but if the meat is polluted, then it was not worth it to me. Well done Ladyhunter.
Last edited by kellory on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ar_ladyhunter

Postby Ar_ladyhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks, the first deer I shot head on with my crossbow was at 40 yards. Went through the carotid and came out behind the shoulder. He ran 40 yards.Asked if I would take that particular shot again at that range? No, I would wait for a better shot. The big buck was within the 15 yard range.
Tree hugging is okay, as long as you are climbing up to your tree stand

halliegarrett23

Postby halliegarrett23 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:04 pm

hi everyone, my cousin try to hunt a deer using this bows Excalibur crossbows, it is in the market only this thing i can propose to you because it was amazing while you do hunting. try to visit this one http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... x_380_lynx

Previous

Return to Vital Information