Deer Blood

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
Yoogi

Deer Blood

Postby Yoogi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:12 am

Hello hunters,
I'm new with this forum and are from Quebec city. I loved deer hunting and I also tracks
deer woonded by arrow or gun with my dog Duff. I read Vital Information and it's kind of became my bible specialy for pictures. BUT, there is something I'm not sure is when Vital info says that a 150-pound deer has 8 pints of blood, what doest it mean in ounces ?? Iknow t it's a stupid question but there is U.K and U.S and here we are in liters.

Can you help, thank you. This will be helpfull when we tracks blood trail !

Thanks !

fasteddie

RE: Deer Blood

Postby fasteddie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 am

1 pint = 2 cups or 16 liquid ounces ............
Do you plan to collect the blood and measure it to see how close the deer is to death ? [8|]..[8|]
Semper Fi !

Yoogi

Postby Yoogi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 am

It's a good idea, I haven't thought about it ! Seriously, we are tracking wounded deer in hunting time and nobody seems to know how much blood in a deer. I find that 8 pints is not a lot for 150-pound deer.
Do everybody agree that 8 pints is the quantity of blood in a deer ?

PS soory for my english !

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:37 pm

According to huntandfishfinder.com there is an ounce of blood per pound.  (150 lb. deer has 10 pints)
16 oz. in a pint
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Yoogi

Postby Yoogi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Thank you, so the article in Vital Information saying that 8 pints for 150 is a little bit too
low ?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Yes, that would be too low. A 150 pound deer would have around 12 pints of blood.

A book I have also states that a 100 pound deer would collapse from shock with the loss of 2 pints of blood, or 25% of it's total blood volume.

To get a visual handle on how much blood that is, I've always wanted to color some water (maybe thicken it with glycerine a bit to get it more like the consistancy of blood) and trail it like blood coming out of a deer just to see what 2 pints of blood looks like scattered on the ground.

The only problem with this idea, is that not all the blood a wounded deer expells leaves it's body through a penetration wound. A lot of it as we all know is internal, and comes out when we open up the chest cavity. But it would still gibe you an idea of how much blood 2 pints was.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:19 pm

1 oz per lb would make 10 pints of blood in a 160 lb deer . 160 lbs divided by 16 ounces = 10 pints . Check out page 106 of this book / article .

http://books.google.com/books?id=jXKJpG ... er&f=false
Semper Fi !

Yoogi

Postby Yoogi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for your answer, I'm a little bid disapointed since I bought the DVD of Vital Information and in the page 6, the Doctor talks about 8 pints and 35 % of loss of blood to killa deer ?

However, i'm not a doctor but I do not beleive that 8 pints is the rigth quantity !

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Close enough for government work...
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 am

Hi Yoogi,

The information in "Vital Information" is correct. We compiled that data after commissioning the top cervid biologists in the world, including Dr. Valerius Geist of the University of Calgary. This was an exhaustive study that took more than a year to compile. We originally published the data in our 1991 publication, "Advanced Whitetail Details." That is no longer in print; and partially the reason why we chose to develop the CD that you now own which, in my humble opinion, is the most accurate guide available for whitetail hunters.

My best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Next

Return to Vital Information