Aim high, aim low, aim dead-on

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
FlDeerman

RE: Aim high, aim low, aim dead-on

Postby FlDeerman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Dead on for me.Our shots aren't that far.

wallyworldmudhen

Postby wallyworldmudhen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 pm

Does anyone allow for a tendency of the deer to "jump the bowstring" and to be crouching down at about the time the arrow arrives?
[:D]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Yes and no.  Depends on the shot angle and the distance.  For me, if the shot is a little further out, then I'll aim just a bit lower since I'm expecting that deer to hear the bow, bend his knees and bound off, and as he's bending his knees I'm expecting that arrow to hit him.  Close range shots I won't do this.  Also, if there is a drastic angle from the stand I'm shooting out of, I won't...But as stated before I will aim a little lower this time just for the face that I do have that angle that I need to compensate for.
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 am

Theoretically if the shot angle is up or down, you will shoot high so you should aim low.

However, given the short distances involved with a treestand, aiming dead on should serve you well, unless you are worried about the deer jumping the string, then aim a little low.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:31 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Theoretically if the shot angle is up or down, you will shoot high so you should aim low.

However, given the short distances involved with a treestand, aiming dead on should serve you well, unless you are worried about the deer jumping the string, then aim a little low.

This is how I've always understood it and works fine for me

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 am

As an engineer I know from dynamics and physics that aim must be adjusted when angles are taken into account during a shot.  However, this is only if you sight your bow in on a level surface.  Just take the dang factor out of the equation and sight your bow in and practice from an elevated platform that is equidistant to that of how far up a tree you intend to scamper up.  That way there is no thinking about "should I aim high or low or dead on".  Of course I'm assuming that the ground you may hunt on is level as well with no angled shots above your position, but you get the point.  If you really don't want to rack your brain over this, get yourself a Bushnell Scout1000 w/ARC technology that does all the calculations and fills in the formula for you and tells you what you should be aiming for.  There are many variables and one does not have time to figure out the math in your head especially the pathagreum theorum and mass force calculations when there is a monster at 18 yds.  Just aim an inch lower to negate the effect of gravity and I think you'll find you'll be alright for those close range shots. 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Previous

Return to Vital Information