Need deer help!!

bigdeerhunter44

Need deer help!!

Postby bigdeerhunter44 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:27 am

I have a question on why I never see any deer. I get pictures for a week straight of deer and I go to my stand and nothing and then nothing in he afternoon and this could happen 2 or 3 days in a row. But then as soon as I'm not there they are back. Why is this??

kellory

Re: Need deer help!!

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 am

bigdeerhunter44 wrote:I have a question on why I never see any deer. I get pictures for a week straight of deer and I go to my stand and nothing and then nothing in he afternoon and this could happen 2 or 3 days in a row. But then as soon as I'm not there they are back. Why is this??

Good morning, bigdeerhunter44, and welcome to the forum.
I think your question holds your answer. ""as soon as I'm not there they are back."
Something about you is alerting them. Perhaps you fidget? Movement is the fastest way to get busted. You could have perfect scent control, and move too much, attracting their attention just like waving a flag.
Scent could be the issue. How do you wash and store your clothes, did you gas up the car while wearing your hunting clothes on the way, something they don't recognize?
It could be placement. Your stand might have you sky-lined, giving an unfamiliar "something" to their view, something out of place.
Noise is a possibility as well.Your gear, or your stand might be making noise. (grown, tinks, clicks. ect.) I knew one hunter who had a nervous habit of tapping on the shooting rail of the stand, which neither one of us knew about, until we set up back to back stands to cover a larger area. Relax. Their ears are directional. They can tell not just left right, ahead or behind, but how high a sound is coming from, if it is repeated.
Your path in might be the problem, You might be bumping the deer on the way in, alerting them to your presence, or wafting your scent through their cover/ bedding area. Think it through, and see what you come up with. Good luck. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Georgia