Goergia 2010

eagle eye

Goergia 2010

Postby eagle eye » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Deer season has been opened for a couple of days, we have progressed through the winter, spring turkey season a long hot summer and now we are back to the start of archery season. Due to the rain we have had this summer the condition of the browse and the levels of the streams and ponds are in good condition. I have seen a fair amount of scraping activities in the woods and just started to see rubbing of trees. I have just started to see some swamp oaks dropping and the sawtooth oaks and persimmons are loaded this year. From what was observed last weekend, the moon phase and the gradual drop in temperatures in the mornings, I am hopeful that the early season will be productive for us all.

I think it would be helpful to the rest of the hunters that reside in Georgia as well as the hunters that travel to Georgia to be able to use this as a great resource. I would like to hear what you are seeing out there and hear your success stories as well as your hunting experiences.

Good luck and enjoy the moment
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

flaDAWG

RE: Goergia 2010

Postby flaDAWG » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Eagle Eye hope your dew'n finer than frawg hair...This will B my first year hunt'n up N Georgia,kinda got a late start on lease have'nt really had much time to check place out like i wood like to.Made a trip up there over 4th July weekend,didnt really have enuff time to scout,just look it over N a whole.Then this past Labor Day weekend was mostly get'n camp ready(accually 2).My Dad (i call him Pop's)and i bought us a travel trailer each had to set them up (plumbin,electric,water),Pop's dont git around like he use to (who does) so it was work most of weekend for me,not much Xplore'n.We did get a couple stand's up though on a "this look's like a good spot" condition...Pop's has ta use ground blind's...Bow season i'll dew down hear,we're gonna try an make it up there for the week of muzzy...Then i want to take a week or two N November sumtime...What wood B best time to take a couple week's off durin rut?...I'm hunt'n bout 50 miles east of Macon in Johnson County...B-Safe!
Hope U all R dew'n finer than frawg hair!...Bsafe!

eagle eye

RE: Goergia 2010

Postby eagle eye » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:42 am

This year may be different then most if you believe the trends of rut mainly being triggered by the phases of the moon. This year the second full mon after the autumnal equinox is on October 23rd therefore triggering the seeking phase a couple of weeks earlier than usual. What this also means is that the secondary rut will kick in about two weeks after the typical mid November date.

I know this may sound a whole lot like scientific blabber but for the past few years I have payed very close attention to the moon phases and the patterns of the deer on one 2000+ property I hunt and there are very strong parallels. additionally if you can pair the timing with a food source such as acorns or a watering area you double your chances of being where the does are when the buck start looking as well. Last year I took three deer and on of my sons took another and all of them were either early in the morning at water or early afternoon at a food source.

Be safe and enjoy
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

Return to Georgia