shed antlers

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
Everyday Hunter

RE: Shed Antlers

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:26 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4ever

I know it is too late for this year, but has anyone got a good/effective design for shed trapsImage 

I don't think it's too late yet -- some bucks are still carrying. But, in some states shed traps are illegal. In Pennsylvania anything that unnaturally causes antlers to drop is illegal.

Here's an idea I haven't tried. Drill two small holes in the lid of a plastic peanut butter jar and screw it to a tree about 8" below a limb. Then cut the bottom out of the peanut butter jar, making sure there are no sharp edges. Put the jar on the lid. Deer will come to lick the peanut butter and if it's a buck that's about ready to drop, the limb above the peanut butter jar might give them a little assist. Put up a trail camera so you can see what's coming to the peanut butter.

Just a thought.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 am

P.S. Yes, that looks like a buck to me.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

ORIGINAL: hunt4ever

I know it is too late for this year, but has anyone got a good/effective design for shed trapsImage 

I don't think it's too late yet -- some bucks are still carrying. But, in some states shed traps are illegal. In Pennsylvania anything that unnaturally causes antlers to drop is illegal.

Here's an idea I haven't tried. Drill two small holes in the lid of a plastic peanut butter jar and screw it to a tree about 8" below a limb. Then cut the bottom out of the peanut butter jar, making sure there are no sharp edges. Put the jar on the lid. Deer will come to lick the peanut butter and if it's a buck that's about ready to drop, the limb above the peanut butter jar might give them a little assist. Put up a trail camera so you can see what's coming to the peanut butter.

Just a thought.

Steve

Steve, Interesting idea, I will have to remember that for next year.  [size="4"]Thanks for your feedback, Tom Mac[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:42 am

That's one nice pic Tom.....We finally have our ground back and it's raining and windy...If conditions improve I'll be out looking tomorrow. Never had much luck though...unless dropped in a creek....critters get them first

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:02 am

Nice find! I have found a few in my day, I have never found a matching pair though. Hopfully he turns into a real nice buck this year and you can take him. That way youll have the sheds to go with it. Ive always liked hearing about those kinds of stories.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

charlie 01

RE: shed antlers

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:41 am

Fellas,best of luck this up coming season.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

charlie 01

shed antlers

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

brentru,it would take rodents years to completly chew up an antler.

As far as antler drop goes, the bucks that do most of the breeding are the first to loose them. They don't eat much, they just run themselves to exhaustion. They are usually the biggest bucks. I have, over the years found big sheds in mid Dec. But, bucks are as individual as we are. Some are aggressive fighters and some are not. Some sheds are broken up and some don't have as much as a chip on them. One year I watched a nice 10pt with stickers on it that kept his antlers till April 14th.     
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Previous

Return to Shed Hunting