Mineral Site next to Free choice feeder?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
FLOEing

Mineral Site next to Free choice feeder?

Postby FLOEing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 pm

I was wondering if there would be an effect on the success of a feeder or mineral site if I put one next to the other. How close together can I establish a mineral site to a free choice trough feeder. I haven't set up neither feeder nor mineral lick site, but I have spots planned out. So basically can I establish a mineral lick site within 10 feet or so to my trough feeder.

Budrick

Re: Mineral Site next to Free choice feeder?

Postby Budrick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Most feeders are in the open and mineral sites should be in the wood.I put mineral site on my main trail into my food plot 20yrds in timber and the feeder on the edge of the plot

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Just curious, how long does it take the deer to find the mineral lick? I just bought 4 trophy rocks and am putting them out. One has been out a while but nothings touched it yet. Others are in my truck still making it doubly hard for the bucks to find! :)

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 am

Good luck! I've never had any luck with the rocks or the blocks. I've even tried digging up the ground and putting the loose minerals down and following the instructions and watering them down. I've yet to see any evidence of deer useage on any of these sites. Same goes for things like C'Mere Deer, Deer Cain, Stump Licker, etc.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 pm

I have had action on a trophy rock but I half buried it in corn. Now they know where it is, they are on it. The stump licker stuff, same as you. I may as well have poured 10 bucks on the ground

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management