soybeans vs corn

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
milkie62

soybeans vs corn

Postby milkie62 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 am

I was thinking of doing a 3 acre plot of corn or soybeans.Any advantage with one over the other ? I know the corn would hold up better in the snow.

mhouck06

Re: soybeans vs corn

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:09 am

beans seem to be hot over summer and as they dry out, the deer activity dries out. just personal experience. corn has always worked best for us, but if it is left standing, its tough. sometimes the deer will just hide out in there. some seasons when we would hunt standing corn, it seemed like insteaded of hunting the deer as the left the woods into the corn, we would be hunting them coming from the corn to head to water or something else.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 am

Why not plant both together - I seem to remember there is some food plot seed company that sells something similar. But you could make your own.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:06 am

milkie62 wrote:I was thinking of doing a 3 acre plot of corn or soybeans.Any advantage with one over the other ? I know the corn would hold up better in the snow.

Soybeans would not need the fertilizer that corn would to make a decent crop. corn takes a lot of nitrogen to grow.
if you have a lot of deer in the area, And not a lot for them to eat. They will eat a 3acre plot of soybeans down faster
then they can grow.
Deer will eat the soybean leafs and buds through september, Depending on when they were planted. Then when the
seed ripens, They will eat the seeds till there gone.

Unless your going to spend a bunch on fertilizer. I would plant soybeans.
Jake

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 am

The beans will add nitrogen to the soil which is why many farmers alternate between the two from year to year.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Great minds think alike! I agree with all you guys. I spend a lot of time hunting a small (100 ac +/-) farm in Maryland that always holds a lot of deer. But by far the best numbers and size of deer come when the land owner plants corn. The crops are rotated for the reason that bobow stated about the beans replacing the nitrogen in the soil. Maryland's bow season begins in mid-september and so early season is tough with corn, as it usually isn't cut until the end of the month or early october. Soy beans have the advantage at this time of year because they are still green and soft for the deer and do not provide the same impenetratable cover as corn. Cut corn will provide a better late season food source unless the soybeans are left standing. Then I have noticed the deer hitting those areas really hard in december. Bottom line, both crops have their benefits but I would plant corn based upon personal experience and observed deer preferences.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

I think you might find this interesting....

http://www.growingdeer.tv
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 pm

msbadger wrote:I think you might find this interesting....

http://www.growingdeer.tv

Thank you Badgie. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Smallplot

Postby Smallplot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:20 pm

As pointed out earlier, corn will need a high dose of N, usually urea at 100 pounds per acre. If you have light soils you should consider applying half the rate of N pre-plant and the remaining side dressed when the corn is about 2 foot tall. If you have heavy clay soils you can apply all pre-plant. Corn is tolerant of lower PH soils but is one of the most expensive crops to plant. A downfall of corn is working all the stalks back in the following spring.

Don't get lulled into a thought that Soybeans do not need as much fertilizer. They still need plenty. Soybeans loose their attraction as their leaves begin turning but when the pods have dried fully, they will begin using them once again. For added draw in Soybeans, when the leaves begin turning, broadcast Winter Rye, Spring Oats, and Groundhog Forage Radish into the standing crop.

Either way, get a soil test for which ever specific crop you decide on.
www.pikecountyfoodplots.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 am

Being the OOhh so cheap person I am ...this is what I've done....Went into sticker shock when looking at corn prices...seriously it's for cover ...deer and turkey draw...So on virgin soil..that had been mowed over the years with a low ph...I limed ...disced limed...put down just two 40# bags of 10-10-10...went to the local ag store and bought a 50 # bag of whole feed corn...took my little 40# hand spreader and broad cast the corn...thick..We have turkey and grackle and deer...not to mention all the rodents...disced it in and dragged it ...The corn at the time cost around $8.00 a 50 # bag..10 now...anyhoo...On virgin soil the corn will have enough nitrogen for a first planting....pics from last year...With my small JD and the snow plow I knocked down the very short stubble the deer left...it has been lying on the ground for months deteriorating...and this coming month I will disc it in with lots more lime and plant Sunn Hemp mixed with Quail heaven and Top Gun climbing soybeans to put back nutrients in soil...have cover from the road poachers and great high protein feed for the deer...turkey and what ever.
Pics of last years corn...lots of 3 ear stalks to my happy surprise.....
Attachments
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG (142.19 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG (100.26 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (278.82 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Next