Providing Water in the Winter?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
bowman12

Providing Water in the Winter?

Postby bowman12 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 am

I'm curious as to what everybody thinks as to providing drinkable water for deer during the winter months? I know they probably don't need a lot of water during the winter but I'm wondering if it would help them in any way, compared to eating snow to stay hydrated. Up in Northern MN most water sources are froze solid from the end of November to March, usually. I've never read anything on it that I can think of. Thanks

ranwin33

RE: Providing Water in the Winter?

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 am

I can't think of why it wouldn't be a good thing. Cold winds and cold weather can dehydrate things pretty easily, so I think deer would benefit from a reliable water source.

I do know that the farmer from who we bought our place had a year round water tank for his cattle and he would mention that he'd often see deer using it.  We've also got an ice free water source at the bottom of the dam on one of our ponds.  Not sure how it works, but we do see deer tracks around it in the snow.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

SHKYBoonie

RE: Providing Water in the Winter?

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 am

Usually the deer will use a spring fed water source in this time of year. You can bet that even if you don't know of any in the area, the deer will. I've hunted all over and know that there are these type of streams or creeks everywhere. If you have one on the property you hunt and know where it is, it will be a good late season ambush spot. Deer need to drink on a regular basis just like any other living animal. If all the still water sources are frozen, they will seek out these running water sources. They may even get enough water from having to dig through the snow and ice to get to the food they are eating at the time, but they will eventually be seen around a running water source.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management