Antler restrictions

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
SwampLife

RE: Antler restrictions

Postby SwampLife » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:19 pm

ORIGINAL: ajkrem22

Charlie 01

PA antler restrictions are based on the Wildlife management unit you are hunting. I beleive the western part of the state requires atleast 4 points on a side of the deer. Each point must be atleast 1 inch long, excluding the main beam which is counted as a point no matter the length. The rest of the state is 3 points on a side

The fine is kind of hard to define. If you are able to prove to you made a mistake and really thought the deer was legal, then the fine is not to bad. I think maybe $100 dollars. I could be wrong. The problem is though is though you give a statement to an officer and they decide if you are telling the truth or not. He they believe you just simply shot the buck without trying to judge points the fine can be much worse. I am talking a lot of money.

I believe the minimum fine was $25 and surrender the rack for a mistake. They had guys bringing in spikes basically saying here's my $25 f*** your antler restrictions. Yea they paid the $500 fine and surrender deer.

ORIGINAL: charlie 01

I just feel sorry for the guy who is only a meat hunter, and would shoot any kind of antlered deer. But does not care to shoot a doe so the herd can grow some. He is sadly caught up in this antler restriction that he really does not want to partake in, but has to watch those bucks that he can't shoot, just walk on by. And hey, how many chances does a  guy get to take a deer.

The thing people don't get is that it is the same thing...

My family has hunted PA annually beginning 8 years before APR's and on our 8th year since APR's. So I have a very clear view of what has happened since the changes.

Without getting longwinded, spikes 15 years ago are 8 points now, you have equal opportunity to see and shoot a legal buck now as you did before APR's(if not better), just now it is an 8 instead of a spike, plus you get plenty more buck sightings which gets any new hunters blood pumping. Not to mention monsters are showing up everywhere. I could go on and on about how positive these changes have been. PA is also 1 buck, so it is a double whammy, APR's and 1 buck.

Let me put it this way, before the APR's I remember several years when I hunted the entire week and did not see one buck with any horns what so ever, not even spikes. This past year I kept a log, I saw 32 bucks, 6 were legal.

Don't feel bad for us PA hunters.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:23 pm

I would be careful for what I wished for without doing some math.
Ohio bosts to have around 600'000 deer as of 2009/10
Ohio population is around 11,353.140.. 1 to 5% of the population purchases a hunting lic every year,and the way I read it that does NOT include out of state lic, and to be fare it does not say whether its for deer,duck,etc etc

So lets use 3% at 11,353.140.00= 340,594 hunters in Ohio
Im going to half that again 170,297 deer hunters persay thats going to kill a doe to earn a buck tag(and remember for every 1 doe you kill you kill 3 deer) That don't include the bucks that take a dive byway of a gun or bow either!

Last year your harvest was over 230,000 deer, thats alot if there numbers are right.

Wis went to a earn a buck tag! Im sure the insurance companys had a hand in it! But nothing good will come out of this im sure of! Then you add on predators,vehicles,diseases,etc! NOPE not for me

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am

Here in Illinois, a person can shoot 2 bucks, and therefore presents a problem. For most people ( including me), 2 deer is plenty, and not enough does are harvested. All the nonresidents that come here, shoot their buck,( most outfitters only allow one buck) and they are gone. I'm not saying they are wrong. What I'm saying is, I think Ill should go to a 1 buck limit, and lets say 2 does. That way, you wait for the buck of your choice, (trophy or meat) and a couple of does to help control the herd. And as a added bonus, more bucks will get a chance to grow up.

Charlie, no offense but, I am glad you are not on the team that decides harvest totals.  Maybe you just moved to IL or maybe you found a tiny acreage that is over hunted or has too much pressure but, this is IL....there are SEVERAL bucks that get a chance to grow up.  From the looks of your picture, assuming that is you, you have found at least one of these bucks that was able to grow to maturity. 

I will agree that there is a preconceived notion that many non-residents pay an outfitter in IL to only shoot a buck but, I have no facts to back that up.  I do know that if the outfitters don't control the herd and become overrun with does their success rates will decline and so will their reputation, ultimately resulting in going out of business. 

Personally, I try to shoot at least two does before the rut each year and have been successful at that for the last 4-5 years...if a mature buck comes along during that time I take him.  I enjoy being able to take two bucks each year and for the last 4-5 years I have also killed a minimum of three does to a max of 5.  My family will eat at least five deer each year and I give the extra one or two to a family that does not have the opportunity to hunt.  Good luck this fall to all.

Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

berudd

Postby berudd » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:09 am

If you think about it for a minute, SwampLife's experiences make sense. APRs would really only limit you chances of shooting a buck in the first, or maybe second year. The first year you have to pass on a buck that you might have take the year before. However, that buck will most likely be around next year as well. So, every buck that was passed on during the season means you can will have more bucks next season, natural mortaility not withstanding.

I will say it surprises me how many people view shooting a spike as a great accomplishment (unless it is your first deer) but look down on shooting a doe. A three or four year old doe is much harder to take than a 1 1/2 year old spike. I am sure that is a hold over from the times when we were trying to recover from almost driving them to extinction. At that time not shooting does was critical to the herd' survival. In many places to day, it is just the opposite. Also, let's keep in mind that your average deer hunting schmoe does not really know squat about herd management and what balance means. Many just view the deer as a commodity and are mostly focused on sheer numbers so they can shoot something and get back to camp before all the beer is gone.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I too, am happy to read what SwampLife posted about the number of mature bucks and bucks in general he is seeing compared to years before antler restrictions. I have a friend in Pa. who bowhunts a lot and never used to get a crack at any decent bucks, because they just weren't there. Even though he hasn't tagged a monster yet, they're out there. The hope for taking a mature buck exists for him now.

I wish they'd enact some type of antler restriction in these parts to prevent people from shooting everything with antlers they see. In this part of N.C. we are allowed two bucks only (visible antlers above the skin) and pretty much unlimited antlerless tags. What does that tell you?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:03 am

In this part of N.C. we are allowed two bucks only (visible antlers above the skin) and pretty much unlimited antlerless tags.

That pretty much mirrors the bag limits here in IL.  We don't have APR and certainly do not want, or need them in my opinion. I am sure there are places in IL where "big" deer are not encountered as often as desired but, many factors outside of bag limits can manipulate that.  Adjustments to small acreages can have big impacts no matter what the geographic location is.   
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback on my post.

I can promise you that the experiences of our hunting before and after the APR's is night and day. It used to be the highlight of our trip if someone got to see a basket rack 8 pointer, now we don't even pick the bow up for them, I see at least half dozen or more every year in a one week period. We have always hunted western PA where it is 4points to a side now.

I know there are some negatives to APR's(novice hunters, meat hunters, old stubborn men set in their ways, etc...) but they have been heavily outweighed by positive's and nothing but a blessing (thus far) for PA, IMO.

DEEP WOODS

Postby DEEP WOODS » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:24 am

I agree with Gulf capt on the earn a buck problem in wisconsin. I hunt in Wisconsin I use to hunt in an earn a buck unit but the hunting started to take a dive a few years after it was started. Now I hunt on the north side of 141 where you have to purchase a doe tag seperate and I Think that the deer herd is perfect in the area that I hunt the buck to doe ratio is perfect but the bucks I see are not very big I think that Wisconsin should go to antler restrictions. We tried to talk to property owners around us to start a manage there land and shoot an 8 or bigger and not too many want it. They say if I dont shoot it the guy next door will. We do our doe management with the youth hunt let the kids take them they are happy to take anything. The adults buy doe tags and we very rarly fill them unless we see one that has been shot. We have taken a few in the years past that had arrows in them.
DEEP WOODS

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:32 am

Where about do you hunt?  I hunt in unit 41.  Not much for deer in that area now.  We were Earn-a-buck for a couple years, but now are a buck only unit.  I don't think that point restrictions are the end all be all.  I'm also not a trophy hunter.  If a buck walks by me and I think I want to shoot it I will.  There are still plenty of bucks that grow to large sizes in our area without APR. 

The problem that I see with APR is this:  When will it stop?  When everyone is shooting 8 pointers, then they'll want to shoot 10 pointers with more mass, etc.  Let the hunter make the decision as to what a trophy is.  Regulations are for management decisions and basic public safety, not to micro manage for a handful of hunters.

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 am

here's my problem with antler regs. last year while bow hunting i saw a buck he was a 4 point and he was an old buck i mean he grey he was so old there was no doubt in my mind that this buck was at least 7 to 8 years old if not older . i some areas in n.y they have antler regs and you have at least 3 points on one side so even if the buck was past his prime he would be a non shooter.in my area we don't have them and being it was the near the end of season i put him down [:)]wayne

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management