Question about Alfalfa plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
wolfcliff

Question about Alfalfa plot

Postby wolfcliff » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:37 am

I planted an alfalfa plot right at 6 weeks ago in mid MO. Morgan County. All went great with the drought ending and abundant rainfall to get everything up and going great. My Question is with 20+ deer in this plot day and night. Will it survive winter if all new growth is being grazed on constantly? Anyone have experience with this fall planted, and mowed to a turf. The crowns look OK, and about 2 weeks ago I went in and harvested a buck that i had watched all summer we called Spidey. (web Horns) At that time some of the plants were about 8 inches tall that hadn't been grazed on. Went back last weekend and deer are in this 5 acre plot all hours of the day and night. Looks like a golf turf except for a few weeds that are VERY apparrent standing above alfalfa turf.
Thanks ,
Cliff Wolf

lil wrangler

Re: Question about Alfalfa plot

Postby lil wrangler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:36 am

I have no answers for you, but I'm trying to figure out what to plant for my 1st food plots. I have about 15acres of tillable land I can use. The rest of the property has about 10acres of woods, pasture land i can plant yet, and 3 good size ponds. My main problem is that someone leases the pastures for mowing hay. I plan to plant alfalfa and some inter wheat around the perimeter of my 15acre tillable part, like a nice mowed good grass line along the fence of my property. Then, i want to put a couple of smaller plot w/some brassicas n such where the deer come from the woods to the fields. Does anyone know if I should/shouldn't plant stuff that will help/harm the hay crop for horse and cow feed? The alfalfa, i know will be fine, and the WW, i'm pretty sure will be ok. Can bracs be mowed into hay, or is it not preferred by domestic livestock? I would ask the guy that mows the fields, but he's not here much. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I love to grow crops, and want to plant as much as i can w/o hurting the hay guys program. Thanks to all in advance for any help.
Bear Outbreak/60lb/25" draw/stock Trophy Ridge sight, rest, stabilizer, and quiver/lefty :D

JohnDeer

Re: Question about Alfalfa plot

Postby JohnDeer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 pm

That's a lot of use for any plant. Overgrazing happens at the plant level. If they keep eating off the tops then it will not be able to photosynthesize, ie. create and store energy, and it's going to start to die. Hopefully it can keep just enough green on it to stay alive until spring green up takes the pressure off, but it's going to be winter for a while.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management